Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Springs

ok, so why would squeaking be an indicator of impending structural failure?

If you swap them and it works I’d like to hear about it. I cannot think of a metal load issue where squeaking is used as an indicator. Lots of lube situations but not many fatigue.

Not saying that it is, but if the metal is fatigued (spelling?) and the spring rate is now less than what it is supposed to be maybe they leafs are sliding across each other more now than they used to? Or it could be that it is something that is driving the owner crazy and they are ready to spend a couple hundred bucks to get rid of it.

I don't think the springs are about to give way and collapse. It is more like Z says and it is about to drive me nuts. Daze, Ed, and KB can tell you this has worried me since the Atlanta Jam. I'm sure they remember hearing that baby coming through the campground long before you could see it.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

Monty, i never asked but can you reproduce the squeak sound by just pushing down on the trailer-say if your standing at the rear of the boat and push down on the swim platform to kinda "bounce" the trailer?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

You can. Even just stepping on the fender to get into the boat makes it holler. I'll be ordering some more within the next few days and hope to get them changed out shortly after.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

If you find anything interesting, please take a second and grab a photo to post. It would be very interesting. Hope you guys are doing well.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sled491 Guest

I think its sabotage

Default When springs fail

Here is the result of a spring failure on the interstate at 70mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

If I remember correctly, Boatmate had an issue with the springs on the late 90's and early 2000 single axle trailers. I actually contacted Boatmate and I think they offered to send me replacement springs. Someone actually had failure and posted it here, (I've had my Outback since '02, so it would have been around then), and that's how I got involved.
    But of course I never followed up on it and could be trailering on borrowed time.
    I'm gonna search and see if I can find the thread.
    Dave