Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaf Springs

Default Leaf Springs

Been MIA for a little while but I'm about to start doing my winter projects for the boat. My main concern is changing out the leaf springs that have the most horrific squeak you could image. I've emailed Boatmate several times and have never received any type of reply. Here's the question. I've found replacement springs that have a rating of 2500 lbs each (26" 5 leaf). Does this rating sound about right? Boat is a 2001 Outback LS DD.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

Monty,

Call Hytech Marine in Panama City, they can help you with any and all trailer needs. They help me keep my saltwater boat trailer on the road as well as everyone else in this town. I actually have to replace the leafs on my offshore boat, they don't squeak, they are 1/2 gone!

squeaking is not a replacement issue, it is likely a lube issue - and probably NOT the springs IMHO

Unless you are hauling a LOT (with the sacks full?) I cannot see replacement being necessary.

Smokedog,

Have to be careful here, Monty lives close to salt water and possibly he has put that trailer in the salt water in the past. This stuff eats metal and can cause all kind of funky issues. All the boat stores down here (boatersworld, west marine, etc) stock trailer springs of all sorts (not expensive either), I mean they come from China to begin with and does anyone have a COC on that metal?
    And once I did have a MASTER CRAFT trailer leaf break right in half for no apparent reason. I was wondering what that rectangular chunk of metal was at my mailbox just after we got home. We were so lucky because I just got off the interstate a few minutes earlier!!! The whole shackle was now loose and there were no corrosion on the spring!!!
    That is why I love the new torsion axles on the newer boats!!!

If you ever heard these springs, replacement IS an issue. They have been soaked in oil. I have even taken the eye bolts out, coated them with grease to no avail. It is well worth the some $45 to $50 per side.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

Monty, glad to see your stilll with us. guys i have heard this trailer-going over a the smallest bump does cause a very LOUD squeaking sound. It is a metal on metal kind of sound, But are there bushing's in the spring eyes or the shakle that need replaced? Seeing his trailer i dont think its been dunked in salt or brakish water.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I'm still trolling around the boards. You are right Stacy, that trailer has never seen salt water since I've had it and I know that the previous owner (Waterboy) never did either. I've thought about replacing the bushings in the eye bolts as they are fairly inexpensive, however, after taking out the bolts and coating them with bearing grease it made no difference. You can see a little rust coming out of the leafs so I'm fairly sure that is where the problem is. Do you all think the 2500# per side is the right weight bearing load?

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

Looks like boat and trailer are 3400lb dry so that should be more than enough. Have you looked into the torsion axles? very nice upgrade if it can be done but its something a trailer place would have to do and will cost a bunch more.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Glad you're back from MIA bro. Those sound like the right springs.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I would think they should be fine. You can also measure the width and the number of leafs (did I spell that right?) and if they are the same you should be good to go.