Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heater install

Default heater install

installing a heater in 03 mob V. 320hp tbi. couple of questions can someone confirm that the plug that I should be removing on the intake manifold is on the right if I am facing the rear of the boat and is removed with an allen wrench. Also where is the best place to ground heater? thanks

Default Replying to Topic 'heater install'

I'll be doing mine this weekend, I have a d-drive but I'll post results on Mon (hopefully)

I have a d-drive, I installed my heater awhile ago but here is what I remember.

The instructions had me remove a plug on the water pump and the other was on the drivers side of the engine, below the manifold. I had to buy a "special" square socket. The plug was smaller than a 3/8 ratchet drive but bigger than a 1/4, Iguess that makes it a 5/16 square drive.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Brian Raymond Guest

The best routing for your heater is the square plug fitting in the circulation pump, and the square plug fitting in the cyl. head between #6&#8 cyls. The square fitting is metric and not easily found, if you have a sacrificial 6" 3/8" extension and a bench grinder, this is your best bet. Let me know how the install went. Brian Raymond

When we did mine this weekend, there was a plug on the water pump that had a square lug we just used a regular wrench to get that. On the engine (d-drive TBI) there was a plug on the drivers side at the same location as the temp sensor (which is on the pass side) that had a hex opening not a square.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Raymond View Post
    The best routing for your heater is the square plug fitting in the circulation pump, and the square plug fitting in the cyl. head between #6&#8 cyls. The square fitting is metric and not easily found, if you have a sacrificial 6" 3/8" extension and a bench grinder, this is your best bet. Let me know how the install went. Brian Raymond
    Hi Brian,

I am about to install a heater on my 2006 LSV with the 325HP engine. Could you please tell me the best place to connect the inlet and outlet hose, or is it the same as above?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al,

I would think they you have the ports on the engine but they just are blocked off right now. I have attached two photo's from my heater hoses. Please note this is for a V-drive 325hp.

From this photo you can see the two black hoses zip tied together next to the carpet. The first hose goes up into the block and is cut off a little by the support bar on the right side of the photo.

This second photo is the other hose going into the back of the engine (back of the engine is at the aft of the boat). It is the smaller black hose that comes into the photo in about the middle of the photo. You can also see the impller pump at the bottom of the photo that is about 3/4 of the way to the right of the photo.

Sorry these are just photo's i had. If you need better ones i should be able to get them too you this weekend. I can also put in arrows if that will help.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Thanks Jester, that helps. You don't have any shut off valves at the block? What do you plan to do if the hose develops a crack and water starts gushing out?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

If the hose gets a crack then i hope my bulge pump works. Also another reason to keep duct tape on the boat . I have been thinking of putting a shutoff valve in but have not made it that far. Right now since it has been dropping to the mid 30's at night i pull the hoses to the heater and blow them out. I was told that the heater will be the first thing to go if it gets too cold out.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Al, Also the hoses are at the top of the block so the amount of water that comes out when the engine is not running is not that much.