Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Yep it is that time of year again for the ZEGM household, renew the insurance on our 2 boats. One is a 2008 Moomba LS (of course) and the other is a 25ft twin engined (Go Evinrude!!!) offshore Walk-about fishing boat (which is bad because I use it in the Gulf of Mexico and that really runs the rates up). Anyway I wanted to say that, much to Flo's disappointment, that I saved about 550 dollars A YEAR by switching to BoatUS!!! These folks are Great!!!!
    Last edited by zegm; 01-13-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Yep it is that time of year again for the ZEGM household, renew the insurance on our 2 boats. One is a 2008 Moomba LS (of course) and the other is a 25ft twin engined (Go Evinrude!!!) offshore Walk-about fishing boat (which is bad because I use it in the Gulf of Mexico and that really runs the rates up). Anyway I wanted to say that, much to Flo's disappointment, that I saved about 550 dollars A YEAR by switching to BoatUS!!! These folks are Great!!!!
    Z:
    You stole my thunder! I was going to post just that! BoatUS saved me about $150 on the lil Red Boat. On my cars, I saved about $300 per year by switching from Farmers to Progressive.
    2007 LSV - All red
    Wetsounds PRO 80's WS420 Eq
    Acme 1433

GT,

I'm sorry, I was so happy I had to Vent!!!
    Unfortunately Flo hasn't been able to match our Geico rate yet.

Sled491 Guest

I have no idea who Flo is but congrats Z and GT, that's some gas in the tank there. Z you should explain what you hat to do to get such a great rate.

Sled,

First, watch the Progressive TV commercials with the funny brunette! We love her, and her name is Flo.
    Second, all I had to do to drop the rate was go to www.boatus.com find the insurance tab on the left and click on it. Actually I started out online but because I have 2 boats I really wanted to speak to someone so I called the number listed on the site. I spoke to several people there over a 3 day period and they were all very helpful. I could have saved even more money but after speaking to an underwriter I decided not to go the cheapist route and I still saved over 500 dollars!!!

Sled491 Guest

OH, I know who she is, got it. What happened with the online course?

I must be doing OK. The Boat US quote was only 30 bucks cheaper.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default boat us

I switched over to boat us on my supra. Not only are the rates cheaper but you get a lot of benefits. If you breakl down on the way to the lake. You get your truck towed and boat us will have your boat picked up and hauled to where you need it. Its a good feeling to know your boat will not be on the side of the road. I have seen a lot of nice boats on the way to the lake during the summer with out a vehicle.

Better make sure you compare apples to apples when you do these quote compares. My Homeowners extends my regular liability coverage to include boat accidents. If you buy a separate policy they may quote you at 100k limit when you would have had a 300k or 500k limit on your HO policy. It doesn't take long these days to burn through a 100k policy if even one person is seriously hurt. Also, be sure to read the fine print. There are differences between boat saver and stated value policies. I pay only about $10 - 15 extra a year for the tow coverage on the HO policy. Moral: It pays to shop around but maybe use a spreadsheet of features and limits for comparisons.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default insurance

Since I own my boat I did the policy so it is valued at what I set up. I did set it up for a little more then what it is actually worth. So each year the value may go down but if something happens to it they will give me what I put down for the value. So i pay a little more for that also. I could have done actual value according to the NADA and would have saved about 125 per year.