Default Drilling into the fiberglass??????

OK now I almost have everything I need for the new ballast pump application. I need to drill two 1" holes on the bottom of the Hull for the two new intake scoops. I did see a thread on here about changing out the bow light. I can not find that thread. I wanted to see how the hole was drilled.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Thanks Ed. It looks like he used a jig saw and a drum sander for the dril. I might go to Home Depot and get a regular 1" hole saw for this. I just want to make sure that I do not chip the gel coat. Any suggestions on a good sealant to use so water does not find its way into the boat?
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

Smile

A nice Sharp hole saw bit should do the trick. Just go gently and rock the bit around so it doesn't bite all at once on any one side. As a plumber thats how we drill tubs/ showers all the time.

When I drilled/cut the holes in my boat I covered the surface with 3M Blue masking tape to avoid any chips. Worked like a charm.

Definitely take the advice in the two posts above. You'll be fine. As for a sealant. If it won't show, gutter seal is a fantastic product because it stands up to temperature changes well and maintains elasticity. It can be messy though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

when i drilled the hole for my tower speakers I used a 7/8 hole saw I drilled the center hole first ran the hole saw in reverse for a bit to get through the gelcoat then flipped it to forward after I knew it wasnt going to chip the gelcoat
    2007 Outback V

Thanks guys. When I get my new brass intakes from Perko, I am going to get the hole saw for the job. I will take as many pictures as possible.
    Tazz

Tazz, use a forstner bit if you can find one in the correct size. Up to 1" Home Depot should have it. Forstners will cut the cleanest hole possible, run it backwards until through the gelcoat then go forward and you'll not have one issue with cracking. ALWAYS cover any area with blue tape to protect the gel, not so much from the drilling as from you!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sealant http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6403383
    Also alvailable at Walmart.

Thanks VA. That what I was looking for.