Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Hey Cab, one more question for you. Do you leave the impeller out for the winter, and then put a new one (if it's at the two year interval) or the old one back in during your "summarization"?
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Yes, the owner's manual says to take it out, coat it with Vaseline, then store it in a sealed ziploc bag over the winter.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thats what I though.t!! I just replaced the cover and will wait until next year to install. It took some serious effort to get it out (thanks for the advice about the vice grips), so I am kind of worried about getting it back in. Though the new Impeller came with some lubrication, so hopefully that helps!

Thanks Cab.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Thumbs up Well Done!

Great job Cab! Thanks for that.
    BTW I don't winterize mine, and I have a drysuit so if you get the itch call me!
    Last edited by newty; 09-28-2009 at 07:06 PM.

PWI as usual...

Default dripless shaft question

CAB - I know you have an 06 LSV. For 08 and newer boats with a dripless shaft, is there anything you need to do for winterization?

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    Thats what I though.t!! I just replaced the cover and will wait until next year to install. It took some serious effort to get it out (thanks for the advice about the vice grips), so I am kind of worried about getting it back in. Though the new Impeller came with some lubrication, so hopefully that helps!

Thanks Cab.
    After I remove the water pump hoses, I spray some silicone into the impeller through the hose fittings. Then, when I bump the engine after spraying fogging oil into the cylinders, that helps coat the impeller and inside of the housing with the silicone which makes removal easier.

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    Great job Cab! Thanks for that.
    BTW I don't winterize mine, and I have a drysuit so if you get the itch call me!
    Thanks Ryan, I'll keep that in mind. Do you keep your boat in a heated garage?

Quote Originally Posted by dhickey View Post
    CAB - I know you have an 06 LSV. For 08 and newer boats with a dripless shaft, is there anything you need to do for winterization?
    Good question. You can disconnect the hose but I don't know how you would get the water out of the seal. Suggest you call the dealer then let us all know
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Its not heated but the water heater and HVAC is in the gararge and its never gotten below 45 degrees.

PWI as usual...

I was thinking the same thing about the dripless packing cooling water line. I didn't think there would be much that would come out of the blue pex line, but you never know. I might do it just in case, but let us know what you find out, dhickey!

I've also got another question about Spark Plugs. I replaced mine with new while doing winterization, but was reading the Indmar manual and it says to put new ones in when you summerize it. Would it matter one way or the other? Would it be better to leave the old in over the winter, and then throw new ones in? I thought about putting the new ones in after I burnt all the fogging oil out of the engine, but I can't imagine it's that hard on plugs. But, I guess you never know...
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

I winterized with anti-freeze last season. Seemed to work just fine, had no problems this year. The procedure is really simple. Here's a list of what you need.

1. 5 gallons of biodegradable anti-freeze. I used -50F.

2. A cheap plastic bin that is wide enough to catch the anti-freeze coming from both exhaust outlets.

3. A fat sac pump.

Place the bin underneath the exhaust outlets and dump your anti-freeze into the bin. Disconnect your water intake beneath and to the right of your V-drive unit. Place the fat sac pump into the anti-freeze connecting the other end into the water intake hose that you just disconnected. Turn on the pump and make sure it is pumping anti-freeze into the intake. Now start your engine and let it run for about 5-10 minutes or until operating temps. The anti-freeze will make a mess coming out of the exhaust, just keep checking on it to make sure it's flowing into the plastic bin. I found it easier to disconnect the wakeplate arms so the antifreeze flows down instead of around the plate. After you're at operating temps, you're done. The antifreeze replaced the water. For peace of mind you can loosen up a few drain plugs to make sure there's antifreeze in the motor. To dewinterize just drop the boat in the lake and start.

Default dhickey

Did you find out any information on the dripless packing? I meant to disconnect where the blue cooling water line went into the seal before I put the boat away, but remembered last night that I forgot to do it. I won't be able to get up to the storage place until hopefully this weekend, but I was curious if you found anything out about the need to winterize that.
    Let me know if you could!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.