Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chrismay View Post
    This may be a silly question, but is there a difference in procedures for the first day out after winter (draining vs. antifreeze)?
    I have always had antifreeze in my boat over winter and when I go out for the first day all I need to do is drop it in the water and start it up. If I drain my engine, will I need to do something special prior to launching it in spring?
    Thanks a lot.
    Chris,

We assume you are using environmentally friendly anti-freeze, if there is such a thing. To answer your question, if you drain the water, you don't need to do anything different. Just reattach all the hoses and reinstall the plugs, back her in the water, and start her up.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

If you have a shower, that needs to be blown out as well. I can see why the shops charge so much! I don't do nearly as much and in a hour I am done and it works. All you have to remember is to get at least 10% of the water out of all compartments.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 162cat View Post
    New to the site and new to moomba

just picked up my 2008 moomba LSV with the 340 hp is there any difference in winterizing between the 325 and the 340? I am from Alberta canada and my boaty will sit in a unheated shed for the winter ,so I have to be 100% sure I do not miss anything.
    great post man
    yes, do not fog the engine thru the throttle body if you have the cat exhaust. you have to do it thru the sparkplug holes and sparingly at that, a few seconds of spray then bump engine over (cover holes with rags) and reinstall plugs.....
    some say you don't even have to do this (fog a cat engine)...it is a debate topic
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 09-12-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: see below, to clarify
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    a few seconds of spray then bump engine over (cover holes with rags) and reinstall plugs.....
    some say you don't even have to do this...it is a debate topic
    Don't have to do which, spray or bump the engine?
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I bought a 2010 LSV this spring and this was my first v/drive winterization (always had an outboard). I want to thank CAB for this awesome how to. The only thing I did different is hook up my portable ballast pump to the raw water intake and add RV antifreeze. Thanks!
    2010 Moomba Mobius LSV

Great post with instructions and fine pictures. I have a 2005 Outback, direct drive. This is my first year with it, and thus, winterizing it. I did use antifreeze and was told to keep antifreeze in engine. Anybody have input on that? Also, I only found two plugs (along with the hoses to drain, of course). Did I miss some plugs with the direct drive? Peace of mind is always a good thing.

Lori, two (brass I think) drain plugs on either side of the bottom of the engine and the hose on the back that connects the two sides. That's it on the DD. I drain those and then run antifreeze. Whether or not to use antifreeze is debated. Indmar manual says to merely drain the water. I run antifreeze and leave it in case any water didn't drain, to protect the inside from corrosion, and to keep the impeller from "drying out" and becomming brittle. Some put in the antifreeze and then drain that. Others pull out the impeller for storage but I've never been able to do that without damaging it.

What happened to all the pictures in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyb32 View Post
    What happened to all the pictures in this thread?
    Agree! Would like to do this myself in the coming months (hopefully many months) and pictures would be most helpful to match the descriptions!
    2004 Mobius XLV
    340hp Indmar Assault MPI
    Gravity Games III package
    Dual batteries with switch
    Mako light bar and racks

I'll try to send Al a PM and see if he is willing to re-post.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!