Default Fogging oil/demi-winterization question

Location - metro-Dallas Texas. We usually have one or two hard freezes per year. Some years the temp will not dip below 27F or 28F.

A good number of my marina slipmates run their boats off and on through the winter. These guys drain all water after each outing and add sta-bil and that is it (I think). One guy told me he will not fog his motor unless the boat will be left idle eight weeks or more.
    I also gather that most boaters around here do not drain their oil over the winter either. Most change it in the Spring.

The main question is can a motor safely last eight/ten winter weeks on a lift and idle without fogging?

Thanks,
    Ed

If the engine will not be running for an etended period, I'd fog it. Much easier and cheaper than the alternative. Certainly won't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
    Location - metro-Dallas Texas. We usually have one or two hard freezes per year. Some years the temp will not dip below 27F or 28F.

A good number of my marina slipmates run their boats off and on through the winter. These guys drain all water after each outing and add sta-bil and that is it (I think). One guy told me he will not fog his motor unless the boat will be left idle eight weeks or more.
    I also gather that most boaters around here do not drain their oil over the winter either. Most change it in the Spring.

The main question is can a motor safely last eight/ten winter weeks on a lift and idle without fogging?

Thanks,
    Ed
    I would fog also it prevents rust on the walls of the cylinders and if your run any ethanol I would put stabilizer in the tank.
    Ski when the ice is gone stop when it returns.

Sled491 Guest

Now funny about the ethanol comment. It was my understanding that Stabil has limited to no effect on ethanol blended. I believe due to the amount of alcohol in the fuel I think. Don't qoute me on that last one

Sled - I've been using Sta-Bil in the E10 gas we have around here for years. I've poked around online and can't find any evidence that it won't be effective with Ethanol. I contacted Gold Eagle and they claim they have a decade of track record with Sta-Bil being effective in the Chicago area with E10. I guess I'll leave my tank full with the Sta-Bil in. What else would you use to stabilize E10 gas?

Sled491 Guest

Don't get me wrong I use it as well. But a mechanic we know told us that it didn't matter with E10 fuel. It's not a matter of what will work instead of Sta Bil, it's a matter of they say it isn't needed with E 10.

Oh, so it's more that the ethanol does the stabilizing itself. Sta-Bil is cheap. I'll keep using it as well.

Sled491 Guest

I guess, I couldn't say for sure. But I agree it's cheap so what the heck.