Hybrid View

Default How To: Swivel Seat Mount...

***WARNING: TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU MESS UP YOUR BOAT BY FOLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT!***

Tools Required:
    13mm Socket Wrench w/extension (I used a 12” extension)
    Phillips Head Screw Driver bit and Drill
    Lareg Drill bit (I think I used 3/8” or ½”?)
    Small Drill bit (I have no idea what size I used, it was small)

Parts Required:
    Swivel Seat Bracket (WestMarine part #: 412124)
    9” x 13” adapter plate (This you will have to procure your self. I had mine made out of ¼” AL)
    8: 3/8 x 1" bolts (rounded head)

This is what the Swivel Seat bracket looks like. I bought it from West Marine for about $25.

Here is my stock Outback seat; I think that all of the 08 and earlier Moomba’s have the same seat/seat track/brackets, but I’m not 100% sure, so again your process might be different.

Step 1: Remove the bottom seat cushion. Its easy, just pull up on the cushion and stash it out of the way.

Step 2: Remove the 4 13mm bolts to take the seat off of the seat tracks. Put the seat out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (46.7 KB, 230 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (40.7 KB, 236 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (64.0 KB, 236 views)
    Last edited by ian ashton; 10-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.

This is what you will see when you remove the seat.

Take care not to loose any of the spacers, washers, nuts, and bolts. I put mine in the cupholder.

Step 3: Remove the 10 screws holding the fiberglass base to the floor of the boat.

Step 4: Flip the base upside down and remove the 4 13mm bolts holding that secure the seat tracks.

Step 5: Now you'll need to use the swivel mount to mark and drill the new mounting holes. You'll be mounting the swivel directly to the base.

I am wating on the arrival of my adapter plate, so as soon as I get it I'll continue the thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (75.0 KB, 242 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (94.9 KB, 233 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (68.9 KB, 232 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (90.9 KB, 244 views)

Default Great Mod

Ian I am waiting in eager anticipation! The lack of swivel is one of my main gripes with the new Moomba seats. I have the XLV so hopefully I can still do this mod cause I have limited room to swivel cause of the back of the seat rest behind the drivers seat. I will be doing this mod for sure over winter, thanks for the pic's and post.
    Cory
    2007 Moomba XLV Gravity Games

ian - Interesting thread. This could well be a modification I can handle and would make to my '07 Outback. Look forward to seeing the completion of your project. Thanks for posting. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Wicked idea. I too have an 08 XLV and would love a swivel seat. Let us know when it's all finished.

Ian, any updates on this?
    -McMoomba

2008 Outback V