Thread: weight rating

Default weight rating

I have an 01 outback ls and the weight rating is somewhere around 900. I notice that the newer models are around 1400. what differences are there in the hull, if any. I have had much weight in this boat no problems. usually a little over 2000 including people. what is actually safe, and what are the real world limits for this boat since nobody follows the posted limit. thanks

I can't comment on any hull differences but for weighting my Mobius LSV our motto is if it doesn't sink we're under the weight limit.
    I think the limits are a liablity issue for mfgs. in case something would go wrong because of weight they can say you exceeded your limit. If you read the waterski boat review they loaded the wakeboard specific boats with factory ballast plus and extra 1,500 lbs which if you follow the weight limits would be illegal in every boat tested

One thing is that the weight ratings arent law, so its not illeagal to have more weight in your boat than it recommends. Second are you sure your LS only rates @ 900#? I had a 01 non LS outback and it was rated at 1300 or 1250 and it is a smaller boat. I had #1500 in ballast then added people and gear just about all the time and no probs.
    Factory people can correct me, but I think the plate data comes from loading the boat w/ water then adding dead weight till it sinks?