Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ripping the skin off your hand?

Does this happen to anyone else? My hands get torn up when I wakeboard. I use gloves to help me grip. I am starting to build calasis (sp?) but they get wet in the water and soften up and rip again. It sucks because it makes it quite painful when I am riding. Thought about wearing latex gloves underneath but I don't know if that would make it better or worse. Anyone have this problem and find a solution?

liquid skin or nu skin at the drug store will hold things together until you get the caluses built up, otherwise increase you yard work activity LOL
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    liquid skin or nu skin at the drug store will hold things together until you get the caluses built up, otherwise increase you yard work activity LOL
    Yardwork? If it is nice enough for me to do yardwork it is nice enough for me to be out on the boat!

I have noticed that depending on who is driving and how they get me out of the water on how torn up my hands get. Also you don't need gloves. That is just putting off the caluses your going to get one way or another.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I am not that familiar with wakeboard needs for gloves - but slalom would not be possible for me without them. Besides giving some level of blister protection, they make it easier to grip the handle so less force is required.

My son boards and skis and will not wear gloves when he boards. Maybe you are just gripping too hard?? Or maybe boarding too much? if that is possible...

One trick we used in Acapulco was duct tape under the gloves, directly on you hands. Every one had a different approach but I found a very simple arrangement that normally lasted the whole set.
    I run one strip the long way down the palm, covering the pads of the first two fingers and going all the way down to the wrist about two inches past the palm.
    The second strip covers the remaining two fingers pads and also down the wrist.
    When you look at the palm with the tape on it looks like a very narrow (overlapping) V that extends below the palm.
    The last piece goes around the wrist securing the two pieces you just applied (like a bracelet). This last piece keeps the first two from rolling up under the gloves.

As far as open blisters - Multiple layers of super glue seems to help. I have never used this, but my son has . Also - when you rip open a blister - grind a fresh cut lemon into the exposed skin. Hurts like Hxxx but is supposed to speed healing.. So it is lemon - let dry - then super glue....let dry .. then tape.. then gloves...

Photo of blisters from slalom
    http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~...e/P1000186.JPG

Photo of an alternative taping style (not the one mentioned above)
    http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~...e/P1000187.JPG

Good luck
    Dave
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 10-01-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    I have noticed that depending on who is driving and how they get me out of the water on how torn up my hands get. Also you don't need gloves. That is just putting off the caluses your going to get one way or another.
    I used to not wear gloves but it helps my grip so much. I have carpueltunnel in both hands so my grip strength isn't all that great. The gloves help a lot with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    I am not that familiar with wakeboard needs for gloves - but slalom would not be possible for me without them. Besides giving some level of blister protection, they make it easier to grip the handle so less force is required.

My son boards and skis and will not wear gloves when he boards. Maybe you are just gripping too hard?? Or maybe boarding too much? if that is possible...

One trick we used in Acapulco was duct tape under the gloves, directly on you hands. Every one had a different approach but I found a very simple arrangement that normally lasted the whole set.
    I run one strip the long way down the palm, covering the pads of the first two fingers and going all the way down to the wrist about two inches past the palm.
    The second strip covers the remaining two fingers pads and also down the wrist.
    When you look at the palm with the tape on it looks like a very narrow (overlapping) V that extends below the palm.
    The last piece goes around the wrist securing the two pieces you just applied (like a bracelet). This last piece keeps the first two from rolling up under the gloves.

As far as open blisters - Multiple layers of super glue seems to help. I have never used this, but my son has . Also - when you rip open a blister - grind a fresh cut lemon into the exposed skin. Hurts like Hxxx but is supposed to speed healing.. So it is lemon - let dry - then super glue....let dry .. then tape.. then gloves...

Photo of blisters from slalom
    http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~...e/P1000186.JPG

Photo of an alternative taping style (not the one mentioned above)
    http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/~...e/P1000187.JPG

Good luck
    Dave
    I may try the duct tape approach.

I just switch handles when my hands start to get tore up or sore. When the weather is great and we ride for a few days at a time I just use a handle with a softer pad. Straighltine has interchangeable handles which is great for that. I’m not a fan of gloves so this is how I solved my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicer318 View Post
    I just switch handles when my hands start to get tore up or sore. When the weather is great and we ride for a few days at a time I just use a handle with a softer pad. Straighltine has interchangeable handles which is great for that. I’m not a fan of gloves so this is how I solved my problem.
    I have two different straightline handles and they both tore my hands up. Actually the softer one was worse for me.

It will get better over time. Part of the problem is that once the calluses get large they actually seem to make things worse, kind of like having dimes taped to your hands. If your blisters are occuring the first day - the lemon/glue/duct-tape things is about all you can do. But if you have that kind of problem - just start using the duct-tape right away before things get bad.

If the blisters occur after a few days, you can try shaving the calluses before the blisters appear. I have heard they make a device for this that you can get at a drug store. Personally - I use an Exacto knife to shave mine. Pretty easy to make things worse if you are not careful, but you can reduce the buildup and possibly avoid a blister caused by the callus rocking back/forth on your hand. But you have to leave some callus or you will never toughen up the hands.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off