Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MrsZ Guest

Default Wake size - Outback or LS?

I have been talking about the "big" wake behind our LS and let me tell you that I was wrong about that. Kaneboats was kind enough to take me for a pull behind his Outback and I can tell you that the wake felt exactly the same to me. I flew over the wake and showed my fin about the same! I WAS just spoiled by our ancient....I mean classic MC Stars and Stripes that weighs at least 1000 pounds less than the current DDs. The wake behind the larger LS is very similar to its smaller sister, Outback. Now I guess I need to compare to the newer MC and Nautiques to be satisfied that I am indeed just a dinosaur, like the old boat.

Mrs Z
    Just shorten the rope and go faster - you won't notice the wake...

Seriously - I had a chance to ski behind late 70's vintage MC and Nautiques back in the day. For tournament boats I was surprised at how different the wakes were (at 15off/30 mph). My impression back then was that I preferred MC. They were smaller and crisper, with what seemed like a table between so you did not get so much of an up/down at each wake. The CC seemed rounder and mushier...

I don't even notice the wake behind our 99 Mobius DD. But some skiing buddies who are more accustomed to outboards say it is bigger than they like.

We normally run pretty light also. Never more than 3 in the boat (usually 2). Our boat is also very sensitive to weight distribution.

For us the season is over. Boat comes out of the water next weekend.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

MrsZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    Mrs Z
    Just shorten the rope and go faster - you won't notice the wake...
    lol! I'll get right on that!

I also much preferred the MC back in the day. I wonder what the differences are in the present? It is sad that the season is over for you. The water is starting to get cool here but the air is still warm. I am thinking of a wetsuit.

I have one shred of hope. A new ski buddy across the lake was skiing into November - deep water start ... without a wet suit - in western Wisconsin... When he got out he was red.

But now that I am skiing with him, and he prefers his outboard to my inboard, we may get some runs in behind his boat into late Oct. I just can't afford the risk of freezing so I pull it first or second week in Oct.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

MrsZ Guest

Do you go through the course behind his boat? I seem to remember being able to PUULLL the boat sideways over to the bouy behind an outboard. And I am not very substantially weighted.

Sled491 Guest

My 1st real ski boat was a 84 Ski Nautique 2001. Man that wake was huge compared to current boats, mine included. Mrs Z I hope your perception is correct because in a couple years I'm going for a new LS hopefully. Or if all is not as it seems, maybe I'm better to keep my Outback which I consider an awsum ski boat, and buy a used LSV or XLV for surfing and whatever else.

Sled,
    Both Z and I watched as MrsZ skied behind kaneboats boat. We both noticed that the wake at her speed looked just like the wake behind our boat. We even noticed that we could see her fin as she crossed the wake just like we see her do behind our LS. I am actually happy because the wake isn't that big to me and I have gotten used to it but she was so used to that old MC wake, (which by the way our Inboard guru down here admits was one of the smallest that ever existed). So to all those Outback owners out there that are thinking of an LS, if there is a difference in the wake size it is negligible between the 2 Greatest Ski boats Moomba Makes!!!!

Been lurking for a while now, thinking of making the switch from tige to a moomba lsv. I currently own a 1998 tige DD with the tapps plate. This advice comes from "my" boat and have no idea about Moombas. With the plate all the way down it will push the bow too far down. Try keeping it down to get on a plane faster but once planed out bring the plate up just a tad. My guage reads 0-8. I set mine between 1 and 2. It softens the wake a lot. Like I said, this is from my experience with my boat.

Sled491 Guest

P, thanks for the input. Come to the dark side you'll like it over here!

It's your destiny.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!