Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Corporate name change?

Alright, just stirring the coals here, but "Skiers" Choice? C'mon. There's been much speculation about the 2009 Outback V (which is produced and shipped, but at time of writing, Moomba has no information whatsoever on their web site, certain dealers seem to be completely in the dark, and this forum is going crazy trying to become informed). Then tonight, the inbox has the Fall 2008 e.bulletin, and behold the claims of the Outback V:

"...new running surface that kicks up a considerably larger wake than the 2008 model... deeper...and heavier (clean, crisp wakes)".

Anybody who opted for the lounge seating format (i.e. V-Drive), but hoped for the cross-over capabilities that would enable satisfactory slalom...well, early to say, but...be skeptical. The prev OBV, at 3000 lbs was the lightest V-Drive on the market (I think), hence that might construe that it has one of the better slalom wakes for a V. No more. With the attributes above...well, a DD-owner friend skied behind the small Tige V (20V) which is a whopping 3500 lbs, and said the wake size ("TAPS" plate down) freaked him out. 2009 owners: Prepare for launch.

So, is it Surfers Choice? No, Centurion might have that locked up with the "Surf" Edition. Wakeboarders Choice? That might be it.

Could it be that the ballasted LS DD is the only cross-over boat (as other recent posts suggest)? I'm actively watching for that near-perfect cross-over. I'd likely trade up if one offered both better ski & better surf/board. Some manufacturer should be able to figure it out. But would appear the Outback V has crossed over into one camp.

(Hey, maybe the pre-'09's V's are a cross-over collectors item. Offers?).
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

MrsZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    you don't see "Dairy Queen" changing their name and I bet they never actually had a queen.
    That's a good analogy. Whenever we go out in the Moomba we go skiing. When we invite people out with us we invite then skiing. In our house it is almost a generic turn for doing stuff behind the boat. Actually skiing is usually "going through the course".

I guess it is like when I ask for a Coke but really just want a "soda".

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    you don't see "Dairy Queen" changing their name and I bet they never actually had a queen.
    Actually, the moniker inferred they were the Queen of Dairy. Still are. Menu is riddled with frozen or soft frozen dairy products. Similary, Skiers Choice was the choice of skiers; perhaps still is. Difference being dairy is dairy, but the evolution of watersports has totally transformed the boating industry.

Still looking for that perfect cross-over.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Here's a thought for SC: How about offering the V in two different hulls? That's exactly what Malibu did with the VTX - Power Boat Mag '07 Tow Boat of the Year. That way, the standard hull could plow a trench, and the optional hull would produce additional lift at slalom speeds to provide a suitable ski wake.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Moombabound: That is a glorious idea.
    What would happen to slalom if every manufacturer went for bigger wake?.......

Just wait a little and demo the Outback V when your local dealer gets one in. It is an amazing crossover boat. I have driven one and was very impressed. I am a wakeboarder so I concentrated on the wakeboard wake. It had a very nice shape but not just super huge. With full ballast and a few people I'm sure it could get to a nice size though. The slalom wake was what I was most impressed with though (keep in mind I'm a wakeboarder). It was VERY flat, in fact, I thought a lot better than previous years Outback V's.

Also, note that though the '09 V has a deeper fore keel, and is slighty wider, it is also shorter and therefore possibly no change to weight from the '06-08 model. Not to worry. Crossover is still a large enough market to .. well.. market to.

Jon.

You're the first to report on the '09V slalom wake. Understand boarding is your priority but sounds like you do have some slalom in the veins too. Your initial observation is VERY good news, though SC hasn't spun that in any of the PR. It's obvious I suffer frustration with the cons of cross-over. If it turns out the new V crosses into both camps better than the prev model, well, I'm not running with $$ in hand, but I would be seriously interested. Need to know soon...need time to warm the Missus on that notion!
    Last edited by moombabound; 09-27-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spell correct
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

I still get confused when I read about cross overs. We do it all behind the LS. It is the cross over boat. You just have to accept the engine in the middle concept and everything is great! We have skis on our boat, we have very nice slalom skis on our boat!!! Plus wakeboards, kneeboards and a surfboard the LS will do ALL!

zegm,

I agree with you on that one. The LS is the most underrated boat that Skiers Choice makes in my opinion. However, the Outback V will fill in nicely for those that just have to have a v drive and don't want a 21' 6" boat.