Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Wow! So glad to hear hypothesis = false in many parts.

I almost forgot about the O'Brien Junior Celebrity combo set in the back of the basement. It was under the Xmas tree when the older son was 8. Barely used, because he was onto a slalom ski in no time. Had such potential...until that damn Moomba showed up (joking)! Anyhow, the younger son (11) has no interest in skiing either. Hasn't even tried it. All wakeboard and kneeboard (and [gulp] fishing). Despite seeing both his folks ski regularly. But we'll keep offering...
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

My oldest girl learned to ski but hadn't slalomed when she put on the wakeboard for the first time. She never picked up the skis again. The second one started right on the wakeboard and has never skied. The twin boys haven't done the wakeboard but asked to try the skis. They have both been up on skis and are really excited about it. I try to do both. I grew up a skier but I find the wakeboard ride much easier on my knees, even with a little jumping and some tricks. I would like all of the kids to ski, wakeboard and surf. Why limit yourself? Everybody has a favorite ride, but it's all fun. Plus, with all this equipment you can easily "forget" to bring the tube.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Slalom is still king for us - we still wakboard and tube as well, but only after a few slalom runs, or if the lake is to choppy for a good pull.

Wink

I ski first most with kids doing a little bit of everything.I/we have taught our kids to learn to read the water and we ski when water is the best first and before other boat chop etc builds other toys come out ie wakeboards kneeboards /tube.We try to judge the conditions and use the appropreate Toys.This way we try to get the best conditions for everyone wanting to do or try and all have fun. We are not hard core wakeboarders so this might be different priorities than others but this way we get the kids to be/become a little more well rounded in there activities. Also Dad owns the boat and always wants to get a ski in where possible.LOL

100% of my decision to buy an Outback was to slalom. I have a wakeboard and a tower on my boat, but I barely use it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy fiddling with the wakeboard (especially when I'm out of energy from skiing, or when the lake isn't as smooth); I'm just not very good at it. I'd rather work on improving my slalom sets. We were just at Lake Norris in TN for four days, and we skied about 85% of the time we were there. A few runs on the wakeboard, but that didn't last long.

I'm 30 years old, so you could put me in between "old school" and the younger generation that seems to be boarding/skating/surfing and less interested in skiing. I owe by bias to my Dad, who was a slalom junkie when he was younger. I guess my point is: it depends on what you are exposed to. So keep the kids interested in the sport!

By the way, my pops is 64 years old and was just up on a slalom the other day!
    2008 Outback

If I'm behind the boat, it's on one ski. If I'm driving the boat, I don't care what I'm pullin' as long as people are having fun.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I was like Deerfield for a long time till I got older and heavier. Now I appreciate getting a run in when I can but also doing some boarding and other stuff so I don't end up sitting in the boat all day. It is much easier to wakeboard and I have enjoyed it more as I have improved.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Our only problem is finding storage for:
    2kneeboards
    2wakeboards
    1pairs skis
    3 different slalom skis
    and a surf board

best part of this is:
    no room for a tube!!!!

Man that almost sounds like a lyric, maybe I could write inboard boat song, a country music song!!!!
    Naw, somehow I would have to find a way to include a woman in there???

I 'found' skiing after wakeboarding, but my LSV is not set up for a novice skiier...I have eaten it so hard a couple of times (flying across the water in a full cartwheel type maneuver). To ski, (which I find much more exhausting...but one of the reasons I like it, it gives me a better workout...I can ride a wakeboard for 1 hour straight...but only ski hard for like 20 minutes max), I use my jetski. Getting up slalom is a little work, but I usually get it 1st or 2nd try...you should see the looks I get on the lake, flying 34 mph behind the jetski...pulling it all over the place when I am in a turn...I love it. But if you asked me to give up a sport, that ski would be on eBay before you could say 'Moomba rocks'.

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Naw, somehow I would have to find a way to include a woman in there???
    When I load her up she's loaded ...
    Got three skis in her arms,
    A tube wraped round her neck,
    And a surfboard on her chest.
    A cooler under her feet
    And still Lord she's the best.

I'll always love her dearly,
    If I'm a castle she's my moat
    But' I'd sure love her more
    If only she could still drive the boat!

Cuz, when I load her up she's loaded;
    Yea, when I load her up she's loaded!