Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing hydraulic wakeplate

How difficult is it to do? Is something you should have the dealer do? Or can a "regular guy" install it?

Thanks,

Garn

the bennet trim tab directions look pretty simple to follow. but i should not be talking because my plate was installed by the factory and it stopped working. i have not been able to get it working and i have thought of myself as a regular guy. maybe repairs are different than install.

anyway, will get it to a dealer next week. my dealer i bought from went out of business, so now i have a 200 mile drive (RT) to get a dealer look.

i guess that some others have farther.

My trim tab went out yesterday. Now I must see if it is an easy fix or take it back to the dealer for warranty work. It sucks too because I had the boat loaded with some friends and we had gotten around to boarding and surfing, but that is harder without the help of the plate.

If you do get a plate, try to get the new electric one that Moomba is using. Too many small problems with the hydraulic ones. Who knows, maybe the electric ones will have more problems.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Any idea who makes the new electric one? Bennetts?

Hey Garn, i don't konw who makes the electric tabs.

But i just saw you are from Alpine. do you ski in utah lake? doesn't the water turn over about this time of year and then they call it ski the scum? i remember skiing there 25 years ago, they had shirts with that, and you had to be take care of where you dropped off or you would be green. we did family nights there 2-3x a month for years!

max, what happened to your plate? i can hear the pump trying to pump both up and down, but nothing happens. i have tried bleeding the system, etc, haven't got it, so thursday it is off to the dealer. fortunately, we our plate is stopped at about half way, making things bearable for most, but horrible for skiing.

I don't see one from Bennett Marine that is really geared toward an inboard or for wakeboarding/skiing. Has anyone talked to them about their kits and which one would be best?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

LENCO
    I looked up the pics of the 09's from the dealer meeting. New Trim Tab says LENCO.

Good luck.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    max, what happened to your plate? i can hear the pump trying to pump both up and down, but nothing happens. i have tried bleeding the system, etc, haven't got it, so thursday it is off to the dealer. fortunately, we our plate is stopped at about half way, making things bearable for most, but horrible for skiing.
    My problem turned out to be the wiring going to the "blinker" plate controller. When I lifted the tilt steering wheel up, it created tension and one of the wires pulled off. I was lucky to see it when I was laying down looking at the circuit breakers. IMO, Moomba really did/do use the cheapest looking wake plate controller. Tige has a switch located on the throttle, it is easy to adjust while you are driving.
    Everything is working fine now and I got my depth finder/temp gauge installed.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Yearround, I do ski at Utah Lake. And yes, in the fall the algae really kicks up and your swim suit could turn green. It doesn't bother me at all. I can always shower when I get home. All I care about is smooth water. I'd ski in a sewer if it was smooth (slight exageration).

Bennetts does make one for an inboard/vdrive boat. It is the X-22. I called them and asked them. Overtons sells it for $484.99:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...=1008&str=x-22

Garn

I just saw an '09 the other day and, yes, the new tabs are Lenco. The plate looks to be significantly bigger as well. I didn't get inside to check out all the details, but if you're looking to do it yourself I'm guessing that the new tab would be a much easier install. It's electric so you don't have to worry about all of the hydraulic lines and mounting the pump, etc. The unit looked pretty self contained and you should just have to run power to it. You would also only have to mount one cylinder instead of two.