Thread: Depth Finder

Default Depth Finder

I have a 01 Kamberra and would like to install a depth finder. Went to dealer to buy and was told that the depth finder can be off by six ft. Does anyone know if this is correct. Are there other alternatives.
    01KAMBERRA

Default depth finder

I suppose I would agree that I would not trust a depth finder in less than six feet of water. Also at speed, they are not going to help much if you suddenly come across a shoal.
    My experience is that the latest generation of quality depth finders is very good. A friend of mine had a fish finder on his boat (outboard motor) last time he visited our lake. When he was drifting in the shallows the readings were accurate in four feet of water. These devices do need to be set up correctly for each installation.
    I am over cautious with my boat as it is direct drive. As good as these instruments are, there is no substitute for local knowledge.
    boomerang

Default Depthfinder

I installed a Hummingbird Digital depthfinder on my old boat last year myself and is was very accurate. It has to be installed correctly and adjusted for your individual boat. You will loose readings at high speed but mine was verry accurate in shallow water. I ordered my new boat with one factory installed.

I have a in-dash depth finder, I put it in the alt gauge hole. I think it is a Lowrance, whatever the factory uses as it is one from Skiers Choice. I used clear silcone and stuck the transducer in my engine compartment. I did have to relocate the transducer after the first time out. I had it directly over the tracking fins and it did not like that. I moved the transducer to the side of the tracking fins. It is IMPORTANT not to have air bubbles in the silicone. I squeezed out a golfball size blob of silicone and pushed the transducer into it. As for accuraccy it is dead on ever in shallow water of a foot or 2. It will flash when you are parked ona beach or driving over a weedy area even at 40feet.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Personally I would look at getting a fish finder rather than a depth finder (same price). This would allow you to see submerged objects (trees). Also I am looking at getting an Interphase Color Twinscope because of its ability to see in front of the boat (both vertical and horizontal). I admit this isn't the cheapest option but it is the best. I also like that it has a video in port.
    If you do decide to get a normal depth finder the cheapest I found was a Hummingbird through Overtons. I asked the dealer for a price for OEM and it was almost 2 times as much for a slightly lesser product.
    You don't know unless you try

We installed a Humminbird 400TX 4 years ago. Cost was about $250. Mounted it on passenger dash, rotated it so driver can see it easily. Rarely operate the boat without it. Reads bottom depth extremely well at all speeds. Has saved our butts many times. At 1 foot the prop is touching the mud. At 3 feet I can engage safely. All readings match lake charts, even at full speed. Don't go without a depthfinder on your boat!

Sensor installation is important and boat-specific. Can't use transom mount --- too many bubbles behind the prop. Mine needed to be glued in the engine compartment to the single-walled section of hull just where the prop shaft passes thru the hull. This is the place under the boat least likely to have air entrained in water. Also, no air bubbles should be in the epoxy, per above note. Can't shoot thru the double-walled section of hull. Let me know if you need more info.

http://members.cavtel.net/hct

Here's a rough look at the unit itself through the windshield. If you need sensor snapshots I'll get them for you.