Thread: Kenwood help

Default Kenwood help

I have an old KDC 416s that keeps cutting out. The unit just goes dead and then you can restart it after a little while (as if it is cooling off). It isn't blowing the fuse though. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an internal heat switch in it or something simple-- it's about time to replace the unit anyway but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows something about this unit. The connections are all OK. Thanks!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have a KDC-X4xx (can't remember exact model), but I had the same problem with the factory head unit. What happens on mine is that (basically) when the sound gets too high, it will kick off for a couple seconds then kick back on. If you can turn the volume down and it stops, then you have the same issue.

This is a safety feature, however it does seem to be over-active. In my case, however, my tower speakers were wired completely wrong, which was overloading the head unit. Once I re-wired the existing wires more correctly, I was able to turn up the volume pretty substantially. However, I need to run two more sets of wires up into the tower (maybe a winter project if I can fit it in) in order to really be correctly wired and use all of my four channel amp. I've also noticed that the bass level really seems to make a difference, so if I have a bass-heavy song I need to turn down the bass on the head unit to keep it from cutting out at a reasonable sound level.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

Mine would cut out whether it was playing loud or not. I rechecked all the connections last night. I think I found a loose ground wire where it enters the plug that goes in the back of the unit. I wedged a real short piece of stiff copper wire into the joint as a temporary fix and squeezed it in with the needle nose. Over the winter I am going to re-check everything and solder all the connections. I'll get a better fix at that time. We'll see this weekend if that was it or not. I think the back of the unit where the connector plug goes in was bumping the steering cable. I adjusted the unit's position too. We'll see if that does it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!