Thread: Changing Oil

Default Changing Oil

Anyone have any tips for changing the oil on an Outback V. It looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help.
    Reality is a crutch for people who can’t handle alcohol.

Default oil

If you don't ski yeararound change oil in spring when bring boat out, so new oil does not sit there all winter

engine warm so oil does not drip for ever..
    odds are the oil line is just long enough to get out the rear drain, but not long enough to hang off the wakeplate.. you can get a piece of 3/4 ID (i think) hose and slide it over the fitting on the oil drain line so it will drain into a pan.
    Other option is either an electric pump or manual pump.
    Last oil change I used the pump to pump out the drain line. had to hold the lines together.. kinda a pain
    I have this pump: http://www.cesmithco.com/product/oilchange.htm someone makes one just like it but it has a fitting that fits the oil change drain hose.

To remove the oil filter, get a gallon ziploc bag AND a shopping bag..
    Use your wrench to break the filter loose, then put zip loc around it for removal...seal the bag and put in your shopping bag for good measure.. don't want oil on the carpet!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I disagree with the changing the oil when you get the boat out in the spring. I've always been told you should change it just before you put it in storage. That way the engine is better protected during the down time and the oil will still be fine when you get it out. It's less likely that any gunk that was in the oil will settle as sludge and the additives that protect the motor will be fresh.

Ditto on running the engine up to temp. and using the ziploc freezer bag. One more thing, remember to put a thin bead of clean oil around the new filter gasket before installing it.

Thanks guys, I totaly agree with changing before you put it away for the winter. That way if there is any condensation in your oil it doesn't sit all winter long.

Lowdrag/Apple
    Last fall, I changed mine a couple of trips before I put it up.. ran it a few trips this spring and changed again.. I think I put about 25 hours on it before changing..
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

what oil and filter do you use??

Pennzoil 15W 40 generally.
    Many use Rotella as it is easily available and in larger jugs!
    WalMart marine section has Penn 15W 40 Marine oil most of the time.
    Auto Zone, etc usually has a 15W40.. manual states marine oil but I am not aware of much difference..
    Here is a list of cross ref filters. I usually end up with Fram PH30 at Wal Mart
    Oil Filters
    ----------------
    AC/Delco PF25
    Castrol CM30
    Fram PH30
    Napa 1069
    Pennzoil PZ3
    Penske PN30
    Purolator L20049
    Motorcraft FL10
    Quaker State QS30
    WIX 51069

If you want to run Synthetic, many recommend Mobil1 but Indmar says put 100hrs on engine prior to running it...
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Hello all, I did use Pennzoil 15W 40 Marine. If you look at Pennzoil's web site it looks like it is a heavy duty oil. The question I have is if there is a difference between regular oil and marine oil (same weight) why is there no difference with the filters. I used the recomended Pennzoil PZ3.

I see a couple of guys around here are using Royal Purple for their boats. Are there any benefits to it. Likewise with synthetic, just because it's better oil doesn't mean you don't have to change it at the end of the year.