Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Robert - I'll give that a try.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    Hey guys I have the same problem on my '02 LSV and the service manager said the best wrench to use for adjustments is an adjustable sink drain wrench. I am sure this sounds cheesey but they are compact and can be used without removing the hoses. You can find them at Home Depot for about $15.00 each. These wrenchs also are smooth and they won't chew up the brass like channel locks.
    Robert,

Just wanted to say thanks again for this suggestion - it worked great and it left no marks on the packing nut like the channel locks would have.

BTW, for others that need to do this, I found that you had to access the packing nut from both the port and the starboard sides. You can only turn it so far from one side, then you can't get the wrench back on from that side so you have to go to the other side. So you go back and forth like that until you get the drip within spec. It also helps to hold the prop shaft coupler so that the prop shaft doesn't turn when you tighten the packing nut.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I've been able to loosen the jamb nut then tighten the packing nut by hand to get the proper drip, then tighten the jamb nut back up
    hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttafewcoe View Post
    I've been able to loosen the jamb nut then tighten the packing nut by hand to get the proper drip, then tighten the jamb nut back up
    hope this helps
    B
    butta,

I tried tightening it by hand at first but could not get the proper drip rate that way.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Eat yer wheaties, then try it again.....jk,......I was afraid of tightening it too much and really causing probs. In over 4 years, I've only had to adjust it once.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttafewcoe View Post
    Eat yer wheaties, then try it again.....jk,......I was afraid of tightening it too much and really causing probs. In over 4 years, I've only had to adjust it once.
    B
    It would have taken more than Wheaties, maybe a can of spinach

I had to give the packing nut quite a few turns with the wrench to finally get it to drip within spec. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that the prop shaft was turning every time I turned the packing nut until the very end so maybe that had something to do with it.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I've always been told that if you have to do much more than hand tighten the packing nut to get the correct drip rate that its a good sign that it's probably time to replace the packing.