Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy!!

Unhappy Tragedy!!

It’s a tragedy that after the beautiful weekend we had for Labor Day it now looks like my boating season has come to an end. It’s tough to get out with a 4 month old in the house, and it’s killing me to look at my boat sit in the garage, although she sure does look pretty all shined up. With that being said has anyone attempted to siphon out the gas from their tanks. There is roughly a half tank of gas left in my 2007 Outback V and it would be a shame to have it go bad over the winter when I could use it in my truck now. I thought I saw in some previous post a while back about anti-siphon tanks is this true or not? I figured I would ask the experts before I started huffing gas.

Thanks for the help. By the way I’ll take the cold weather way up here over hurricanes down there any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Good luck with that.
    Reality is a crutch for people who can’t handle alcohol.

You would be better off to fill it up and add Stabil to the tank.
    Fill it up FULL
    That displaces any air and prevents condensation. The Stabil will keep the gas from going bad. You need to run the engine for a few mins after adding stabil though.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Actually I have been told the exact opposite from my dealer. They tell me to bring it in with as little gas left as possible. That way if it does go bad you don't have 40 gallons of bad gas to get out of your boat.

Appleknocker--
    I was told the same thing. to bring it in with as little gas as possible. They did all the winterizing that was needed. When I pick the boat up, they had added the stabil to the tank. I was also told to fill it up before I put it in storage. I did exactly what they told me. The stabil preserved the gaos. This seasson started and by the second crank, the boat started with no problems and ran great.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Empty the tank with the fuel pump. I've been emptying my tanks over the winter for years. With the FI you need to disconnect a hose after the pump.

Disconnect the gas line and put it in the can
    Connect a battery source to the fuel pump (NOTE: Keep the hose away from the battery source)
    Run the gas out
    Empty the fuel filter and replace it
    Put a gallon of gas with stabilizer in the tank
    Run the gas through the line until it comes out
    Reconnect the hose
    Run the engine for a while to get the gas into the FI or carb. Fog the engine during this time

I do pump out the remaining gas in the spring using the same method, change the fuel filter and get fresh gas.

Different parts of the country have different weather. With high humidity in the south, you need to add stabil and fill the tank. Otherwise, you will have water in your tank in the spring. Up north, you may not have that problem. Definately use Stabil and have it run through the engine before putting the boat away.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Lets see the math here, hummmm I start boating in April (without a wetsuit) and put the boat up the end of Oct. again without a wet suit! So I get about 4 more months of boating a year. OK have lived in Panama City now for a little over 5 years. Had a few "exciting Hurricanes" travel near, and I think I saw a limb down in the backyard once, I believe. So 4 months x 5 years = 20 months, 20 months divided by 12 = 1.67 years more of skiing. Yeah you might be right picking that limb off the ground ain't worth the 1.67 years of extra boating I get. I think I will move back (yes I once lived where I saw snow) to Indiana so I don't have to pick up no stinking sticks again!!!!

Removed offensive large font NOT!
    Last edited by zegm; 09-06-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Lets see the math here, hummmm I start boating in April (without a wetsuit) and put the boat up the end of Oct. again without a wet suit! So I get about 4 more months of boating a year. OK have lived in Panama City now for a little over 5 years. Had a few "exciting Hurricanes" travel near, and I think I saw a limb down in the backyard once, I believe. So 4 x 5 = 20 months, 20 months divided by 12 = 1.67 years more of skiing. Yeah you might be right picking that limb off the ground ain't worth the 1.67 years of extra boating I get. I think I will move back (yes I once lived where I saw snow) to Indiana so I don't have to pick up no stinking sticks again!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!
    Zegm, I can't help but notice the sarcasim in your reply. It's not so much in the whitty reply or the fancy math, which by the way you must have gone to school for because I lost you at 4 x 5 = 20, wow thats way over my head. Nope it was the 60 pt. NOT!!!!! that made your reply stand out. See up here in the North us common folk have trouble adding, for example 2 + 2 = 5. If you think that living in Indiana is North and a dusting of snow is cold you have no idea what your talking about, much like I have no idea what you are talking about with your complicated math, or your hurrincanes. All I know is I like to make the best of my boating season (all be it short) and take care of my boat, as I am planning on keeping it for a while.

Maybe when you respond to my reply you can throw in some Algorithms or Differential equations and really dazzle us. Better yet why don't you come up with a formula to calculate the wind speed as it tears the roof off your house, then when you go outside to pick up the fallen tree limbs you can think to yourself that maybe Indiana wasn't so bad after all.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, seems like everyone who doesn't live here thinks that every house and every family gets effected by a hurricane. Well it ain't so and it was you that used this mis-information to justify your reasons for living where you do and kind of insulting us for living here. And tell my father who had to leave his house in Indiana for over a month because his pipes froze under ground so that he had no water that that was really not an issue to him.

Sorry, next time I will not use complicated and confusing large font!

It doesn't look like you will be able to hide from this one. 90-100 mile an hour winds = more than a few broken tree limbs, even I can comprehend that math. Just remember when it comes time to evacuate TAKE THE MOOMBA!!!! I would hate to see a fellow moomba owner lose a boat in a storm.

Oh and by the way it takes more than a half hearted response like yours to hurt my feelings.