Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lock

Default Trailer lock

Ok so i am looking for a trailer lock for my OBV 08. I want to be able to lock it on my ball or off the ball. Any help would be great.

something like this:
    http://www.hitches-forless.com/hitch...ver_locks.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Jester, a standard padlock will work. just put it through the hole where your safety pin on the trailer tounge goes. That is all I have ever done and it has worked great.

I thought that a standard pad lock will be too big to fit thru the hole?

i thought it was funny when you wanted to lock it on your ball.

but a pad lock through the safety pin is about all you can do while it in attached.

Old fisherman once told me a trick for when he would have to drop the boat at the motel to go get dinner and stuff. He' take an old ball and hacksaw the threaded part off. Then he'd lock the ball up in the hitch. That way there's no way somebody could run off with his rig without going to some serious effort. Pretty funny stuff. Just don't get it stuck up there. Could be embarrassing.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It is amazing the work people will go through the get what they want though. A farmer customer of my Dad's the other day was telling me he had someone steal the ball off his hitch of his pickup - actually unscrewed the ball and left the insert instead of just pulling the pin and taking the whole insert from the pickup. Crooks can be such idiots!
    2003 Outback

jester,
    do you have a swing away tongue?
    Another option is to pull the pin and put 2 locks in the open pin holes on the swing away so that it cannot be closed/put back into towing position..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

For the 30 seconds it takes, I do all of the above. I park the boat in my covered car port and I take the pin out of the fold away tounge and store it in the truck, then I use the identical lock that 04OUTBACK linked too (The only kind that fits on my new Boatmate trailer for my 08 XLV) and then i use 2 padlocks to lock the fold away tounge. Add into that 4 Security cameras watching my XLV 24/7 (I own a security camera company, hence the over kill) and I sleep pretty well.

Just a padlock can be cut in about 3 seconds flat but the trailer locks are much tougher to get through. The way I see it, a $25 lock is worth it to help protect a 40k or 50k boat.

On my companies website you can even link into some live cameras including a couple watching the boat. I have to admit that when I've been out of town, I've logged in to make sure the Moomba was still sitting where I left it.

Big Brother is watching . . . your Moomba.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!