Thread: Heater issues

Default Heater issues

My heater seems to work only once the boat is really warmed up. Is this normal? Also, it seems to only put out warm air for a few minutes than begins to cool off. Is this correct or do I have an issue? Do I need to replace my heater coil?

the heater runs off the warmed engine water, similar to your car. the warm will be lake warm until it has circulated through the engine a while and been warmed. when you turn the engine off and run the heater, the water will no longer be heated by the engine (ambient heat from the warm block) and will feel like it is cooling quickly.

if you want to keep the heater warm, you will need to keep the engine running. after the engine is warm, thermostat will regulate the temp and keep you warm.

this is my thought and experience from using the heater this spring in 50 degree water. other people may have something better to say. i would be surprised if your core was bad.

I just get warm air also and I believe it's because there isn't a high flow of water to the heater core.