Default Cleaning Boat Cover

Does anybody have any good ideas on cleaning boat covers? Mine got a bunch of bird sh*** on it this weekend. Can I just throw it in the laundry machine? (not sure the wife is gonna like that)

I have taken mine to a high pressure car wash to clean it. I hang it on the wall using the clips for car mats and the poles for propping it up in the boat: works well.

If I were going to use a machine, I think I would go to a laundry mat with one of those industrial sized washers. Either way, you may consider using a waterproofing agent on the cover after you have cleaned it.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sled491 Guest

With the boat still on the lift and cover secured, we just spray a little water on it and scrub it with regular push broom. Then just hose it off again. This should work on your trailer as well just need a ladder. The Sparrows crap on my cover soo much sometimes from a distance it looks grey!

Sled, do you waterproof it?

Max makes a good point, but trying to waterproof that entire cover sounds like a job. And it puts me back into the same dilemma. How do I do it? I don't want to spray waterproofer all over the cover while on the boat, but where else do I get it to lay just right.

Sled491 Guest

Kelsey,

I have never water proofed my cover. Mine has not leaked yet, but I did buy 3 adjustable poles to hold it up so no pooling to really get a leak.