Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Lady Skiing

Agreed - one thing I do to counteract this is to make sure to start my edge change right as I reach the second wake. If my angle/pull was good enough I've carried enough speed to get plenty wide and free myself of the boat and since I'm not skiing a course I try to concentrate on making a nice arcing turn.

I used to struggle with always having my front knee locked and then the ski would be very hard to complete the turn - if I keep my knees bent and allow the ski to naturally carve its arc I come out of the turn in good position for a strong pull.
    2003 Outback

Sled491 Guest

This is of course the hardest part. Stopping your pull at the second wake with that much speed is sometimes the hardest part, and in fact is the biggest task challenging me everytime out. Funny thing is I looking at getting a faster ski to help on my off side timing.

Pulling too long - bad.... I used to pull to the second wake. I was able to slow down with extreme knee bend, but I had to work very hard and got tired very fast. I finally learned that the pull is a very short duration and to get angle you need your arms extended and low by the time you hit the first wake....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I was just reading a very good description of this on Schnitz's site entitled.
    “EDGE CHANGE, WHAT EDGE CHANGE?” that brought home exactly what we (I think) are all trying to say. It's here down the page a bit http://www.schnitzskis.com/skitips.html

I've tried recently to start my edge change much earlier and not pull as much and seem to have much better turns. I'm not on a course so I don't know if the results are any better but it definitely feels smoother.

I also reread one of the tips I love and read often. THE 13 MISCONCEPTIONS OF SLALOM SKIING. It's on the same page. If you can't tell I'm a fan of the site...
    2003 Outback

Sled491 Guest

Cut, what a great site, I just saved it on my favorites for when I have time to read more of these perils. Great insite on what we've been talking about. Most of our conjecture about body position is in line with what they are saying, but soo much talk lately about the flat ski and the drag coefficient. Pulling to hard too long on edge off edge, man 25 + years of this and I just keep on finding things to make me better. This truely is one of the more challenging sports around.