Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default LSV or Outback V?

Hey Gang,
    I am interested in Moomba and have looked for a while now. I cannot find a Moomba in my lake to ride in as I am concerned about the wake size.

here's what I'm looking for. I am a skier (no pro just recreatioal slalom skier) everyone elso wakeboards.

My question:
    Is the LSV hull going to produce too much wake to make slalom skiing enjoyable?

Is the wake on the Outback V too small even with the ballasts to produce a good wake for the boarders?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Paul

Sounds to me like you should be looking at the Outback and LS instead of the Outback V and LSV.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Paul, if you new guys would post your location we might be able to offer you some better help. We have guys (and gals now) everywhere and most are willing to help any way they can. Don't worry, we're not going to come over and drink your beer (OK, I will -- if you're within 200 miles -- but most of the others won't).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Paul,

Wake size is a band-aid for bad technique. I own a 03 mobius LSV which is the same hull as the current outback V. I can assure you with the wake behind my boat is mackin and I have no problem throwin down any inverts or spins behind the boat. I have an extra 1200 pounds of ballast on top of the stock ballast, but it is not required for beginners or intermediate riders, the wake was good stock when i bought it. As far as sking goes, I have had a few people ski behind it, and they thought it was OK, its not a dedicated slalom machine so there is some tradeoff, but it will be better than the current mobius lsv due to the size difference and weight between the two. My suggestion is Outback V, this years, next years looks like it will be an even better wakeboard machine. It looks awesome

first pic is boat with stock ballast when it was first bought at 65' and 21mph.....
    second pic is with additional ballast this year at 75' of line and 24 mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ditto on what yaeger said. I have the OBV and the slalom is decent, no courses but you can weight it up as well. DG has surfed behind his 08 iam going give it a try. Wake plate is necessary to slalom behind it.

Pre 06 LSV work as well.

my .02
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

If you are buying a new boat from a dealer. I would highly encourage you to get a test ride. If you are buying used I would only purchase the boat after a test ride.

I think it is fair to say the people purchasing a tournament level ski/wakeboard boat for recreation purposes are rather persnickety group. If you don't get your test ride and you find some little thing that you don't like with the boat it will only lead to frustration and resentment....

I have an Outback V. I grew up only slalom skiing mostly behind my family's I/O. I did have the opporunity to ski with a very informal "ski team" behind a Master Craft 190. It was behind that where I learned the slalom course. But I also went through the course with the I/O too.

I use my Moomba for slalom 60% trick 20% wakeboard 20%. The biggest reason for choosing a V drive boat was also for the "social" aspect of the floor plan. Storage is great too.

Biggest question? What do you currently own? I/O or another direct drive boat. If you are coming from an I/O the wake behind an Outback V with the wakeplate 100% down is far superior at 15' off.

I did ride behind LSV too. In my opinion Outback V is the best crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Ditto on what yaeger said. I have the OBV and the slalom is decent, no courses but you can weight it up as well. DG has surfed behind his 08 iam going give it a try. Wake plate is necessary to slalom behind it.

Pre 06 LSV work as well.

my .02
    This is what my surf wake looks like. The wakeplate is at 50% and two stock ballasts are filled with 7people in the boat.

http://www.wakesurf.ca/movies/wakesurf.mpg
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Sled491 Guest

Whoever said that huge wake is a crutch for bad form is correct. I have seen guys at cable parks doing inverts! So how much wake do you really need! IMHO it's easier to create a decent wake than it is to flatten one out for skiing. Heck we are surfing sucesfully behind a regular Outback with almost no ballast, and blowing any ski wake out there away! I find myself on the usual DD side of the discussion. The Mobius LS is a very potent boat and has more stock features than an Outback V (08 version) for about the same money.

Old school boarders Shapiro, Gator, and Byerly were doing inverts, raleys, etc behind Jets Skis on the Pro Tour in the 93-96 era of boarding.

Test drive and ski behind any boat that you are thinking about buying. It is a lot of money to waste if you aren't happy with the wake.
    Last edited by maxpower220; 09-20-2008 at 11:39 AM.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier