Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have 07 LSV and installed the FAE on it last year. I also like it. My chemistry is a little old, but 2.5% solubility is ok, but that means 97.5% goes back into the air. When we run ours you can see a "vapor" trail in the water a good 20 yards running back. So more likely the exhaust is in the prop wash and breaking the exhaust up into smaller bubbles that eventually disapate behind the surfer. When we are just sitting there floating with the kids jumping in you can still smell the exhaust and it still bubbles up underneath the platform as usual. Not that I am the most "green" person, otherwise why would I have such a fuel efficient water craft, but I always wondered what other chemicals from the exhaust are we putting into the water compared to the air.

Considering FAE. Recently, two family wakeboarding evolutions have brought me a step closer:
    1. Superman style. One of the kids decided to lay on it (Hyperlite Broadcast), head toward boat, arms outstretched, even ropeless. Even wiggles onto his back (not ropeless) and rides it belly up. Had a blast. However, occurred to me this is likely not a far stretch from the highly dangerous teak surfing (though he says he didn't detect exhaust). So we basically banned the Superman style the weekend the notion was hatched.
    2. Longer rope. i.e. 60'. Easy to do 360's and wide sweeping side-to-sides.
    About 15 MPH. When centered behind the boat, I REALLY noticed the exhaust. (Perhaps even with FAE, the gases may release from the surface so may not be completely eliminated. Anyone with FAE surfing at 60' occassionally, pls provide feedback).

Only drawback is the reported installation struggles, though increasingly minimized through the information sharing by others here. 20-30 hours though...sheesh...with the season ending in September, think I'll wait until spring to see if the product or installation evolves.

PS (I see Centurion got clever with the Sideswipe Exhaust, exiting out the side of the boat at the flip of switch. They also launched a SURF edition. Attention SC).

Mine has been a bit of a PITA on my XLV. It has come off several times now. I've doubled up the clamps, but that didnt seem to help. It's got quick-disconnects, so no all thread. It seems to be pretty darn level. I'm about ready to put a small round-head screw into the exhaust outlet to give the hose clamps a bit of something to hold onto.

Without over analyzing or creating more questions than neccessary, the FAE simply puts the CO down low in the prop wash and away from the surfer and back of boat, period. A nice side benefit is that it quiets the boat way down and makes it very nice inside. That's all it's supposed to do. Yes you'll still smell exhaust at idle.

If your's is coming off then call Dr. Larry and he will correct the issue before you add pieces or modify pieces. When installed correctly it will not come off or cause any issues so in essence it's not going to evolve or get and different i doubt as it's been this way since creation.

I seriously doubt for you green types that it's adding any additional harmfull residues that your boats don't already add.

As i have the 325 Assualt i'll be adding an FAE by next season as i smell exhaust at low speeds, although a lot less than my previous boats. But more than the FAE equipped ones i've been in. 2 cents worth ... ok maybe 10.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by tlatoani View Post
    Mine has been a bit of a PITA on my XLV. It has come off several times now. I've doubled up the clamps, but that didnt seem to help. It's got quick-disconnects, so no all thread. It seems to be pretty darn level. I'm about ready to put a small round-head screw into the exhaust outlet to give the hose clamps a bit of something to hold onto.
    Tlatoini.....

Please look at my post! I was having the same exact issues! As long as there is a backwards pull on the exhaust outlet, it WILL eventually come off.....it's just a matter of time!

And, yes, 20 to 30 hours is a ton to spend.....my wife was not happy either as she was helping me But keep in mind that I'm not a very handy person to begin with, but still!!!

Think of it this way......when you raise the FAE high enough (using the all-threads) to clear the wake plate, then the cylinders on the FAE itslef where the all-thread bolts go through are no longer vertical! They are tilting forward at the top. So I figure the all-threads should also be in that same angle (forward at the top). I did this and it fixed my issue!
    Last edited by NLindellDC; 08-22-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: forgot

Quote Originally Posted by NLindellDC View Post
    Tlatoini.....

Please look at my post! I was having the same exact issues! As long as there is a backwards pull on the exhaust outlet, it WILL eventually come off.....it's just a matter of time!

And, yes, 20 to 30 hours is a ton to spend.....my wife was not happy either as she was helping me But keep in mind that I'm not a very handy person to begin with, but still!!!

Think of it this way......when you raise the FAE high enough (using the all-threads) to clear the wake plate, then the cylinders on the FAE itslef where the all-thread bolts go through are no longer vertical! They are tilting forward at the top. So I figure the all-threads should also be in that same angle (forward at the top). I did this and it fixed my issue!
    I get what you are saying, but with the quick disconnects it's not really adjustable. I had to cut steel tubes to be the vertical pieces. I'll see if I can get a little bit of play in them and drill some holes to make em longer. Thanks for the tip.

So I figured out that the wakeplate hits the FAE. What can I do about it? I swear I checked before the first install...

I had the same problem initially......I left the all-threads too long at first. I'm not sure how the quick disconnect works, but you need to somehow use it to raise the FAE so that it doesn't touch the wakeplate (I left about a half inch clearance to be safe).

When the Centers for Disease Control tested the FAE, they hypothesized that the propwash was turning the exhaust into micro bubbles. I agree with them. Initially we tested the CO levels back to where the propwash bubbles ended, about 120' behind the boat and our readings were always zero to very low. That's why we initially thought there was scrubbing occurring. Once we began testing even further back, we began to pick up low levels of CO, thus the micro bubble theory made sense. We are probably seeing some scrubbing of other gasses, and certainly particulate matter (soot).

FAE does not put anything into the water that hasn't already been done for almost a century by outboards and I/Os.

Supras and Moombas remain the hardest boat to install a FAE upon. We now make 2 additional FAE elbows just for Supra/Moomba. The biggest problem is the exhaust outlet on many of the Supra/Moombas. We recently sent a different exhaust outlet insert (3rd generation) to a customer and are waiting to hear back from them as to how well it installs and works.

If you have problems with your FAE, no matter what it is, contact us and we will work with you to fix it.

The FAE installation on a Supra/Moomba should run about 3 hours, or as one of my customers put it, "that is ___ number of beers".

We will be developing even better installation instructions during the off season. We appreciate the feedback (even problematic) from our customers as it tells us where we need to improve and what we need to include in the instructions. Also, if you haven't already, please send pictures.

Larry Mann
    Fresh Air Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    Hey Larry!

By the way folks, Larry Mann donated an FAE system as a door prize to the Tampa Jamboree and a very happy Moomba owner went home with it!

e

I got the said FAE from the Tampa Jamboree in the mail today. I have started the installation and have documented each step in photos. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow, so the install will wait until I get home. I will be emailing the photos to Larry when I am complete, or if I have a problem. I will also post a few pics here on the forum.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the door prize.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier