Thread: bump at 22' off

Default bump at 22' off

Hi. I've always skied at 15' off. Since I have been improving a lot this year, I decided to try some free skiing at 22' off.

I really didn't expect such a big bump at 22' off. There was a driver and 1 observer in our Outback and we were going at 52k/h (32mph).

The first time I crossed the wake at 22' off I was really surprised by the wake. I really have to concentrate on absorbing the shock with my knees and keeping my ski on edge.

Is this typical? All are similar ski boats (MC, SN, Malibu, etc) the same?

Thanks,

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

The bump is there on every boat. I am sure it varies by mfg/hull but you seem to hear about it on all of them. In fact during boat reviews I think that is one of things they review.

If yo are not skiing the course - just drop down to 28 off. Way more fun and no noticeable bump.

But you should be on edge to the second wake anyhow so it may help to stay at 22 off to help force you to get a good lean.

My 2cts.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Sled491 Guest

Laz, what prop you runnin'. My stock prop was pretty good, but my new stainless 4 blade has a wicked bump. Also try uping your speed. You will find that the closer you get to 36mph the better the wake gets. I always ski a 36 and just love the wake, but when I watch my wife at 28 and my 8 yr old at 24 the wake looks awful.

I am currently able to get through the course most times at 32mph (15' off). My plan is to slowly increase to 34mph. I don't think I'll be a 36mph skier.

Then, I plan to try and shorten the rope.

I tried a bit of 22' off while free skiing this weekend for the first time. The bump will take some getting used to.

I'm using the stock Outback prop (3 blade).
    Last edited by Laz; 08-19-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: add a sentence
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding