Thread: Winterizing

Default Winterizing

I am about to (finally) remove my Moomba. (Last one on the lake). No real serious freezing temps yet but they're coming. The owners manual doesn't give any specifics about winterizing the boat including the engine. Can anyone help give me the specifics of everything I need to do?
    Steve

Default winterizing

well steve here is my method. first i pull the water hose off the trans cooler that runs up to the water pump. i found a plastic sleve that threads on the male hose end of the garden hose and fits snugly in the hose to the water pump. tighten the clamp. i run the engine about 10 minutes with the hose on to warm it up,shut it off and change the oil and filter.then i run it a few minurts with the water on to circulate the fresh oil. now drain the engine block(both sides)and both exhaust manifolds. unhook the hose and get about a 6 foot piece of hose and hook it up. i put 2 gallons of antifreeze in a bucket and stick the end of the 6 foot hose in the bucket.start the engine and let it idle with the air cleaner off.when the antifreeze is almost gone i start spraying fogging oil in the carb.when the antifreeze is completely gone i shut the engine off.replace all the hoses,pull the battery and your done.some people say to pull the impellor out but i feel with the antifreexe in there it keeps the impellor soft.(my last inboard went 8 years before i changed the impellor) well ,thats what works for me.
    jy

Here's a really good article from the Mastercraft people on how to winterize your boat.

http://www.aquaskier.com/articles/bo...terization.htm

Hope it helps.

Brian

Default winterizing

the only thing i don't like about the mastercraft article is they tell you to change the oil after you drain the water from the engine. i like to run the engine a few minutes with the fresh oil before i drain the water. just my opinion.
    jy

I have no practical experience in this area, since i live....you know....hate to rub it in.....FLORIDA! I'll be on the water at 9am this morning, it's gonna be 85 today!!

Sorry, sorry, had to do it....

Brian

In order to make up for rubbing it in, here's another article from Wakeworld on how to winterize.
    http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/20...erization1.asp

Thanks for the invite Gordon, but I work weekends so I miss out on stuff like that.
    I'm winterizing my boat Florida style, which means adding a hot water shower to it .....I thought you and Ed G might be interested in how it works. I'm putting it in this weekend, I'll let you guys know if it was worth it.

Brian

hey do you guys barefoot at all down there?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Eh, we are still going out here in Atlanta, GA too. I am wearing a wetsuit but quite honestly, I don't think the water is too bad yet. It is quite nice now because everyone has abandoned the lake and it is closer to glass.

I guess my northern blood gives me the tolerance that other wimps around here don't have. Their loss, my gain.

I had that same theory " Vs 1 of the Gospel according to skiers: If frost bite dost not set in nor dost thou have to call in an icebreaker to ski, thou shalt continue to ski! " until I started to practice it. I have went while it was snowing and after it had snowed. Which isn't all that bad the first or second time it happens but when this process is going on for a month it is time to through in the towel. Although it wouldn't be that bad if I had a wet suit on (wakeboarding in the snow with shorts and a lifejacket) and was able to feel the handle in my hands.

Snowboarding season is here!!!!!!
    You don't know unless you try

I'm thinking ethanol antifreeze, 90 proof, neat, poured in excess quanities into the intake.