Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stock Moomba cruise control thoughts??

I notice the '08 Moomba boats have their own version of cruise control and in test drives it seemed to work Ok but seeing as Im here I may as well get feedback from the masses.

Is it worth while having Perfect Pass as an option over the stock cruise control assuming no one in the boat is using the slalom coarse .... for now.

Is Zero Off a Nautique only thing or is it an after market thing you can add to your Moomba ??

Zero Off is available for 08 and 09 Moomba boats.

Moomba Cruise works OK. If you have never had a speed control system, then it may be all that you need/want. You can always add PP or ZO later, with TBW the install is very easy.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I've never ridden behind a boat with PerfectPass, Zero Off, or any other form on fancy cruise control. We use the Moomba Cruise every time we ride, and I never seem to have a problem. Since its based on RPM the boat will slow in turns, but it doesn't really bother me as I'm not trying to do anything fancy when the boat is turning anyway. The main thing that matters to me is a consistant speed without jerky-ness when I'm riding, and I get that reasonably well with Moomba-cruise.

I'm sure I'll want PP once I ride behind a boat that has it though, lol.
    2013 Outback V

I also like the stock CC, but have never had PP or ZO. I've never had a problem with it, even turning around. If you can make a wide enough turn, you won't slow down much.
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Zero Off is available for 08 and 09 Moomba boats.

Moomba Cruise works OK. If you have never had a speed control system, then it may be all that you need/want. You can always add PP or ZO later, with TBW the install is very easy.

is the 07 Outback V TBW?

I have PP and love it. Not so much for me when I am driving but for my wife when it's my turn behind the boat and she is driving. I call up my name which has my desired speed saved and all she has to do is give me about 3/4 throttle then just steer. When the boat gets within about 1 or 2 mph of the desired speed, the PP will give one audible beep to let you know it has taken over. When I fall, she pulls back on the throttle and the PP automatically disengages. There are also adjustments to fine tune how aggresively you want PP to maintain the speed. Benefit for me is that I get a consistent pull at the same speed each time out.

I also like the rider presets in that I can store my wife's name and her desired speed. Same for my son. Same for tubing. Same for surfing. So I don't have to try and remember all the different speeds for different people and different things. Yes, the interface is not very user friendly but it's not that bad once you figure it out. Also, PP will show you the water temp.

I understand that the Moomba cruise has to be manually engaged each time so it's not as convenient (does it have to be manually disengaged too?). Also, being RPM based, I imagine the speed will vary with amount of weight on the boat (i.e, people and ballast) so you would have to kind of experiment with what RPM to lock at each time. With the PP, you get pulled at the same speed each time out no matter the conditions which I think helps your progression.

If I never used PP before and I was the only driver, I am sure I would be perfectly happy with the Moomba cruise.

Also, I have never had any issues with my PP - it's always worked fine, the screen has never gone blank, etc.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Last edited by cab13367; 08-13-2008 at 04:00 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I have found PP to fantastic through a slalom course. This is the only way I can get a consistent pull. For free skiing and wakeboarding it's not so important.

Try the stock cruise and if it's not good enough the it's qutie easy to at PP later on.

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Sled491 Guest

the big difference is that the CC is only as consistant as the person pushing the engage button. PP goes to the same setting every time. Easy to program (well maybe not that easy) for many users or settings like surf or tube. If it not for PP I'm sure my wife would have left me by now! And as the one being pulled I have tremendous confidence that I am always getting the same pull, which in turn gives me more confidence. Just a thought

Eager Beaver - Sled and I have the same boat ('07 Outback). Someone will probably make fun of me here, but honestly I haven't yet figured out the Cruise Control. I ordered it with a bunch of other options that are straight forward like heater and tower that get tons of use. Every time we get to the lake everyone is ready to play and I have a bunch of things about which to think. Since I don't need the Cruise Control to make it a fun day, it just gets ignored. If I had a slalom course you can bet that I'd take the time to figure it out and pretty much expect anyone who pulls me to use the Cruise Control. My boat before this was a Nautique. Beyond the engine, twin speedos, and great hull, it had no features. I think I just grew comfortable doing it the old fashioned way by touch and feel. - Deerfield
    Last edited by deerfield; 08-13-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

MrsZ Guest

Deerfield - Ditto on not using Cruise Control. The old stars and stripes had nothing for frills and I am used to driving by feel of the throttle and constantly watching the speedo. I am pleased with how even the speed stays on its own. I am embarrassed that I have not figured out the CC yet (and I am the electronic toy junkie at our house).