Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake problem

Thanks man. I figured somehow I would look pretty stupid here. Went and bought the new harness today. Now, I have to figure out how to attach it to my truck!!

If you have a 7-pin round on your truck they make a 5-pin flat adaptor for it. Advanced Auto caries this
    You don't know unless you try

Default Splice it

If you have a regular 4-flat connector now, you can do one of two things. 1) Cut the existing plug off and splice the 5 flat back in using the exact color code except the blue #5 wire will go to the reverse lights, which I think is white on the existing connector. or 2) splice into the existing harness as above but don't remove the 4 flat plug, that way you have both. That's what I did because I tow more than one trailer and now I have a plug for both.

the white wire on the flat 4 prong connector is the ground.the blue wire(fifth prong)has to be spliced into the back-up lights on the vehicle.the existing 4 prong plug does not have this feed.
    jy

Ok, out of my expertise level. Going to have to call in some reinforcements to help me with it. In the mean time, I want to get this thing on the water, but can't if I can't back it up. Seems as though there should be a way to "fool" the system, some sort of a placebo(sp?) plug that I could slip on it. Yes? No?

if you look at the pictuer yhat BensonWbdy posted all you need is something metal to fit where the arrow pointsso the tonge of the trailer can't slide into the frame when you back up.make sure you take it out when you're on the road.
    jy

To fool it reread my post just unplug the harness, plug the previously unused plug on the trailer into the slot right next to the ground, turn on your lights and reverse...no prob. I had to do this with mine till I got hte 5 prong.

Default brakes

I am sure the wiring trick would work - if you have electric actuated brak release. Our 1999 trailer had the 5 wire harness but the release was an option that was not installed so we had to rely on the mechanical stop. This was obvious because there was a short blue pigtail coming out of the 5 pin connector going to nowhere.

So, if you have a blue wire going to a release mechanism as part of the wiring harness then the bypass will probably work.

Good luck.
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Heres a quick fix. Assuming you have the older style four pin wiring tail on your tow vehicle. When it is time to back your trailer unhook your trailer light wiring tail and insert the last mail plug on the trailer tail into the first female on the tow vehicle get back in the tow vehicle and turn your parking lights on and the will disable the surge brakes on your trailer and your trailer will back up..
    busdriver