Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2005+ Toyota Tacoma for towing my boat?

I am looking into buying as 2005+ Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6 4x4 with towing package.

They are rated for 6500lb but I am worried about climbing hills while pulling my boat.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

I have that same setup- 2007 Quad Cab long bed 4.0 4x4 w/ a 2006 Outback V - and it tows extremely well. I think better than my old Chevy K1500 w/ a V8. The Tacomas are close to 2000 lbs. lighter than a domestic full size truck so on a weight to HP basis I would guess it comes close to a wash. I've had no struggles with hills at all.
    2006 Outback V

SWEET!

That is exactly what I needed to hear before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

You should really test drive the truck with your boat hooked up. That way, you will know exactly how it will tow your boat. Different people have opinions on what "good" is.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

DG,
    The prev owner of my LSV delivered to me in same truck.. He said he did not have any trouble with that.. LSV weighs a few pounds more that OBV..
    I would not wanna head out on a REAL long trip in it, but they are good trucks and you are well within the tow rating..
    Good point abover on the weight to HP ratio My Tahoe weighs way more than a Yota... so that is a good point..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Shoot, 6500lb could tow my XLV :P

I hooked it up to a Jeep Cherokee once when I was without a tow vehicle. The back end nearly bottomed out so we just stayed home that day. I guess suspension is a big factor...the engine should do ok in the flatlands here.

I forgot about the suspension.

The stock rear springs are notoriously lightweight in the Tacoma's. With 800 lbs. of concrete I was on the bump stops so I added some $150 JC Whitney helper springs before I even got around to pulling the boat. There’s hardly any sag now but not sure what it would do stock.
    2006 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by SkiKY View Post
    I forgot about the suspension.

The stock rear springs are notoriously lightweight in the Tacoma's. With 800 lbs. of concrete I was on the bump stops so I added some $150 JC Whitney helper springs before I even got around to pulling the boat. There’s hardly any sag now but not sure what it would do stock.
    Tongue weight and payload is two different things. I am not worried about the rear springs while pulling the boat.

I read alot about this before purchasing my boat. They say you should never exceed 80% of the towing capacity. Make sure the transmission can handle towing. Usually a tranny cooler of some sort. I have a Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 and it tows my outback fine. The most I travel is about 150 miles. IF I still lived out west and was towing through the mountains I would probobly get a v-8. I live in wisconsin now where its pretty flat.

http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/pdf/08towing_guide_e.pdf

Any Toyota Tacoma that is 4x4 can pull 5,000lb and when you get the optional towing package it can pull 6500lb. My boat and trailer is 3800lb so I am laughing!