Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stress cracks

Hybrid View

Default stress cracks

My hull has cracks in the hull from the swim platform brackets. Due to stress. I want to fix it myself. Does any one have any input.

Same thing happened to my boat. I would not recommend fixing it yourself. The glass shop I took mine too cut a 1 foot by 1 foot section out around the bracket and they glassed in a 1 foot by 1 foot piece of aluminum and finished it off with some matching gel-coat. Looks great and it has not come back (two seasons 250hours)

Good luck
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Default gel coat cracks

If you don't mind, what did they charge you for this? Also, what's the downside to leaving it alone?

I caught it in time, very thankfully it was covered under warranty. It was around $2,500 but well worth it. If it is like mine was I think long term, eventually the brackets would have worked their way loose, maybe fall off and you would have a rather large hole in your boat (worst case).
    If you grabbed the platfrom and lifted a little you could see movement in the transome fiberglass where the swimplatform brackets were mounted. I would not take this lightly it is problem that needs to be fixed.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

is there a way to get behind the platform brackets with a plate for support?

Yes, you have to take the trunk apart. I have a 2001 Mobius Pro. What boat are you talking about?
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

We have a 2001 Kamberra walkthru. It looks like I have to raise the platform about 2 - 3 inches. Top lug screw just pierces the top of the stringer? I was going to have the the platform hanger enlarged with a backing plate to use some thru bolts. The platform could be too long or the hanger-bracket setup angled wrong. The walkthru looks tough to get a backing plate in there.

If you haven't done it already, you might do a search on this board. This issue has come up before with the kamberras.

Just curious, shouldn't this be covered by the hull warranty?

Is this a common problem on Moombas? Brian Raymond, has anything been done to prevent this on recent model boats?