Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ballast pumps wont fill but can empty

Everything was working perfectly fine yesterday but today I was not able to fill any of my ballasts.

I still had some water in the center and left bag so I was able to empty them but they wont fill back up.

WTF?

I checked to made sure the strainer was clean and I also check all the connections. The solenoids were all up also.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

I think there is a breaker button next to the switches.. try that... then.. I dont know..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    I think there is a breaker button next to the switches.. try that... then.. I dont know..
    That was the 1st thing I tried. That is simply a power switch anyways. The switches do get power because the LED lights turn on and I can empty the ballasts no problem.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

so you have only one fill pump.. check the wiring at that pump (under vdrive area)

do you hear any noise when the switch is on?
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    so you have only one fill pump.. check the wiring at that pump (under vdrive area)

do you hear any noise when the switch is on?
    There is no noise.

I checked the wiring on that big white pump and all looked good. Maybe its burnt out? Is there a way I can check it with a multimeter?

If there's no noise when you try to fill, there is something going on w/ your pump. Try the multimeter to see if there is power @ the pump.

If the pump is running, sometimes you get air in the plumbing, and then they won't fill. To fix that, get on plane and hit the fill switches. The force of the boat moving should push the bubble out.

I had both issues w/ my OB V in the past. The bad news about the pump is that the dealer had to fix it. I'm somewhat handy, and I couldn't get it to work. The pump wasn't bad, but it was something to do w/ the wiring.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dtlaine View Post
    If there's no noise when you try to fill, there is something going on w/ your pump. Try the multimeter to see if there is power @ the pump.

If the pump is running, sometimes you get air in the plumbing, and then they won't fill. To fix that, get on plane and hit the fill switches. The force of the boat moving should push the bubble out.

I had both issues w/ my OB V in the past. The bad news about the pump is that the dealer had to fix it. I'm somewhat handy, and I couldn't get it to work. The pump wasn't bad, but it was something to do w/ the wiring.

Good luck!
    I am gonna take it out today and have a look to see if it's clogged or something. I will check the wiring again and do some test.. thanks!

I am off to take out the pump right now. Before I take it out I wanted to see if a fuse is blown.

How do I find the ballast fill pump fuse? lol

Look under the dash. There is a fuse block just for the pumps. I do not remember the amp size in the fill side. There are 3 of them for the fill side and 3 for the empty side. Check these.
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Quote Originally Posted by tazz3069 View Post
    Look under the dash. There is a fuse block just for the pumps. I do not remember the amp size in the fill side. There are 3 of them for the fill side and 3 for the empty side. Check these.
    Tazz
    There are three 5amp fuses for the fill side and three 3amp fuses for the drain side. I checked every single fuse and they were all perfect. So I decided to take the pump out and see if I could get the blade spinning when i turned it on.

Here is a video of the action: http://www.wakesurf.ca/movies/pump.mpg

Does this mean the pump is finished? How much do they cost to replace? I don't want to bother doing warrantee claim because it takes too long.