Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me "weigh-out" my '08 LSV

'08 LSV 325 hp with 400-400-400 stock bags.

I'm thinking of replacing the two rear bags with two 750 bags. For a 750-400-750 arrangement. I guess I could keep the stock bags for 800 total pounds of movable water weight - maybe even to place one on top of one or both of the 750s. I want to be able to use either side of the boat. I'm a lefty and think the driver's side will prove to be my side. We met some folks yesterday who had IIRC 750+400+400 in/on the passenger side rear compartment of their Nautique. Their wave was stupendous and really 100% clean.

I'm a total noob. I tried surfing yesterday, unfortunately we only had about 30 minutes, for the first time experiencing numerous problems.

A. My wife took off too slowly
    B. My rope was too long/I was too far behind the boat.
    C. I used a no handle rope and my grip wore out after a while
    D. I tried to surf the passenger's side wake and that was a mistake
    E. I had my feet to close to the edge of the board - causing it to flip up too soon and to feel like it was going to flip over my toes and hit me in the face.
    F. I'm not at all sure about this last one, I think the wave/wake was too small for my 247 pound body weight.

All input greatly appreciated. BTW-I'm an old I/O kind of guy. Never again.

Congrats on the purchase!! Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Are you goofy foot or regular? Surfing on the passenger side with left foot foreword (regular) is correct. If you prefer right foot foreword (goofy) then you will need to surf on the driver side.

You need as much weight on the surf side as possible. Having the rubrail 2"-3" away from the water is the perfect setup.

I fill my 450lb in the ski locker, 400lb in the left locker and added a 725lb on the passenger seats and its perfect.

If you lean over your front foot you will start to get some slack in the rope.

Good luck!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

.264Mag,
    Congrats on the new boat. We love our 06..
    I have the 750s in my rear lockers. We can get a decent wake with center sack filled and 1 750...need 2 peeps in the front and a couple on the surfside of the boat...
    BUT, this weekend, we put the offside sack on the seat and filled about 400 more in it (about 1100 on the surf side)...and got a great wave... 10mph wakeplate all the way down got us a longer wave...

I don't ever fill the 750s full for wakeboarding.. actually you'll need more bow weight if you do that!

One option if everyone surfs the same side in your boat is only replace one of the rear sacks with a 750... but then you have to be more careful when filling to get them equal..

If you order some 750s, make sure you order the quick release fittings to go with them so you don't have to take the ones off your old 400's.

Welcome to the Klan... where ya from?
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    Congrats on the purchase!! Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Are you goofy foot or regular? Surfing on the passenger side with left foot foreword (regular) is correct. If you prefer right foot foreword (goofy) then you will need to surf on the driver side.

You need as much weight on the surf side as possible. Having the rubrail 2"-3" away from the water is the perfect setup.

I fill my 450lb in the ski locker, 400lb in the left locker and added a 725lb on the passenger seats and its perfect.

If you lean over your front foot you will start to get some slack in the rope.

Good luck!
    Hey deafgoose,

Thanks for all the information, getting the rub rail 2"-3" inches from the water gives me a great visual. I wasn't anywhere close to that yesterday.
    Unfortunately, I'm probably a natural goofy foot guy. I'm going to try like mad to learn "regular" in order to save time tinkering with ballast too much.

So if I fill my ski locker to 400 + 750 in the left locker + 400 in human weight or water on the left side seats I should get close to the 2"-3" inch mark?

Thanks very much,
    Ed
    Last edited by .264 magnum; 07-29-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    .264Mag,
    Congrats on the new boat. We love our 06..
    I have the 750s in my rear lockers. We can get a decent wake with center sack filled and 1 750...need 2 peeps in the front and a couple on the surfside of the boat...
    BUT, this weekend, we put the offside sack on the seat and filled about 400 more in it (about 1100 on the surf side)...and got a great wave... 10mph wakeplate all the way down got us a longer wave...

I don't ever fill the 750s full for wakeboarding.. actually you'll need more bow weight if you do that!

One option if everyone surfs the same side in your boat is only replace one of the rear sacks with a 750... but then you have to be more careful when filling to get them equal..

If you order some 750s, make sure you order the quick release fittings to go with them so you don't have to take the ones off your old 400's.

Welcome to the Klan... where ya from?
    Thanks for the input.
    Great call on the fittings - I would not have ordered them.
    We live in Plano TX (a burb just north of Dallas).
    I'll fiddle with the wakeplate too - my dealer told me to leave it up 100% for surfing. I try it down a bit.

Thanks again,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
    Hey deafgoose,

Thanks for all the information, getting the rub rail 2"-3" inches from the water gives me a great visual. I wasn't anywhere close to that yesterday.
    Unfortunately, I'm probably a natural goofy foot guy. I'm going to try like mad to learn "regular" in order to save time tinkering with ballast too much.

So if I fill my ski locker to 400 + 750 in the left locker + 400 in human weight or water on the left side seats I should get close to the 2"-3" inch mark?

Thanks very much,
    Ed
    Absolutely!

It will make a HUGE difference and it makes surfing so much easier.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

magnum

i think you will find it hard to get the rubrail 2-3 inchs from the water, the new lsv's sides are taller than the outback v or old body style lsv. i had a 2003 lsv and yes with the rub rail 2-3 inchs from the water the wave was good. now with the 08 lsv im using only 750lb in the port(regular) side and teh wakeplate about 3/4 up and have a very nice wave at 10.5 mph. that was the only ballast i was using and was able to free surf very easily, you may want to start with just that and then start adding weight evenly front and surf side.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    magnum

i think you will find it hard to get the rubrail 2-3 inchs from the water, the new lsv's sides are taller than the outback v or old body style lsv. i had a 2003 lsv and yes with the rub rail 2-3 inchs from the water the wave was good. now with the 08 lsv im using only 750lb in the port(regular) side and teh wakeplate about 3/4 up and have a very nice wave at 10.5 mph. that was the only ballast i was using and was able to free surf very easily, you may want to start with just that and then start adding weight evenly front and surf side.

You are the man!

At what level do you fill your ski locker tank for the best surf wake? I think it's implied in your post that your ski locker bag was empty?

Thanks again,

Ed

Magnum

the front bag was empty-i was pulling my daughter at the time and to save time i had filled the port 750lb's and just did not feel like waiting any longer to fill another bag. i really was suprised at the wave.

let me know what you end up with as far as ballast.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
    '08 LSV 325 hp with 400-400-400 stock bags.

I'm thinking of replacing the two rear bags with two 750 bags. For a 750-400-750 arrangement. I guess I could keep the stock bags for 800 total pounds of movable water weight - maybe even to place one on top of one or both of the 750s. I want to be able to use either side of the boat. I'm a lefty and think the driver's side will prove to be my side. We met some folks yesterday who had IIRC 750+400+400 in/on the passenger side rear compartment of their Nautique. Their wave was stupendous and really 100% clean.

I'm a total noob. I tried surfing yesterday, unfortunately we only had about 30 minutes, for the first time experiencing numerous problems.

A. My wife took off too slowly
    B. My rope was too long/I was too far behind the boat.
    C. I used a no handle rope and my grip wore out after a while
    D. I tried to surf the passenger's side wake and that was a mistake
    E. I had my feet to close to the edge of the board - causing it to flip up too soon and to feel like it was going to flip over my toes and hit me in the face.
    F. I'm not at all sure about this last one, I think the wave/wake was too small for my 247 pound body weight.

All input greatly appreciated. BTW-I'm an old I/O kind of guy. Never again.

You are on the right track... I have an 07 LSV and my setup is as follows:

750 Portside Rear Locker
    400 (under the seat behind the cooler and halfway into the rear ski locker on top of the 750)
    400 surfside, on top of the seat, up against the compartment with the battery
    400 Front

10.3 - 10.5 mph with wake plate 100% up.

I usually go out with 4 people... so the 2 extra people go in the front

Definatly switch to the 750's and buy a tsunami pump for the 400's. (you can use the fittings that come on the 750 for the 400's and transfer the quick connects to the 750s... you shouldnt have to buy more quick connects unless you plan on plumbing in the 400's.

I have messed around with putting the extra 400 on the bow surfside seat, and it works well too... depends on where you want your human ballast

also, we use the t-bar rop and are very happy with it...