Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tubing - a neccessary evil -towpoint?

Ok, I'm not such a newbie that I don't know what I'm doing but I really want SC's recommendation on exactly where (what point) they think a tube should be towed from.
    I've read my manual cover-to-cover and see nothing regarding tubing toys.
    Skiing/Boarding is obviously what you should be doing when you're on the water, but sometimes the heat, wind, boat chop and kids desires win out. That's when the tubes hit the water.
    I was going to pose the question directly to SC, but thought that more readership would get a chance to respond.
    Has anyone asked this question before?
    The choices would be:
    #1 - lifting eyelets
    #2 - rear towpoint
    #3 - ski pylon
    #4 - tower (really shouldn't even think about this one but I've seen "people" do it)

Oh yeah, sorry forgot to include: '05 DD outback and lovin' it!

Depends on the ride... I like to use the Lift points if I want to keep the tube on the water. If I am tubing I place the rope on the tower I have seen this done in Vids and it is a blast but you need a great driver or you can get hurt. Otherwise I use the Ski pole for a balance. I also ask the rider what kind of ride they want and I only drive for the conditions. I never drive to toss the rider but I do drive for fun. Some days it is the only thing you can do because of all the other tubers. We Ski dusk and dawn for the glass.
    Ski when the ice is gone stop when it returns.

I totally agree with the mutually agreed upon style of ride beforehand AND the safety side of "unloading" passengers. With the right style of tube and a good driver, dunking gung-ho riders can be done without excessive speed.
    I'm trying to get to what Moomba would would suggest since the tower has clear warnings and I think that I've seen one about the rear cleats also.
    The rear towpoint looks strong enough for at least one tube, so #2 and 3 could go at the lifting lugs.
    Problem is that I can't find anywhere that says the rear towpoint is the first choice.

I always use the rear towpoint for tubes and have never had any problems. I would advise against the tower as I have read several posts about stress cracks in the fiberglass around the tower feet from towing tubes. Apparently the tube puts quite a bit more pressure on the tower than wakeboarding. Page 10 of my manual (2007) has warning labels, and it says the tow eye is rated for 800lbs, so I would think that would be the best point for towing a tube.
    2007 Outback

I use the ski pylon.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

It depends for us on who is on the tube. If its one of my cousins (ages 5-7) I tow from the tower; it keeps the tube from submarining and tossing them out, plus they are light enough that I know it won't do any damage to the boat.

If its anyone older I tow from the eyelet on the rear. We've only used my boat to tube like 6 times.

I will only use the rear towpoint for the tube. Scared to use the tower with the chance of stress cracks. I suppose I could use the ski pole but usually several people in the boat if a tube is being used so hook it to the rear so we can all sit comfortably without worrying about the rope.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Talking

with the v drive i use the pylon mostly and then the tower for light riders to avoid the submarine ( usually under 10).
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

You get a higher tow point from the ski pylon, but you sacrifice the back seat, at least in the Outback. When there's only a couple people in the boat I use the pylon. If the boat's full I use the rear towpoint too. I wouldn't use the tower b/c that's not what it's designed to do.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Just for the record never use the tower for tube towing! SC will not warranty any stress cracks or such if they even suspect you've done so! It also seriously stresses the tower pivot/hinge points as well. Not to mention that with the higher tow point it's way to easy to launch a tube airborne.
    2007 Mobius LSV