Default Lincoln Aviator for towing my XLV?

Hey guys, I have been borrowing my mom's tahoe to tow so far...and of course that has been inconvenient at times. I need something fairly short to fit in the garage at work (6'2) so I think a pickup is going to be tough. There's a used Lincoln Aviator in town for ~20k. It's got a 300hp/300ftlb AWD v8, and is rated to tow 7100lb. Does that sound like it'd do it? I'm more worried about the suspension than the power...

I really like the truck. Rear DVD for the kids, cooled seats (no sweaty butt), nice ride, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tlatoani View Post
    Hey guys, I have been borrowing my mom's tahoe to tow so far...and of course that has been inconvenient at times. I need something fairly short to fit in the garage at work (6'2) so I think a pickup is going to be tough. There's a used Lincoln Aviator in town for ~20k. It's got a 300hp/300ftlb AWD v8, and is rated to tow 7100lb. Does that sound like it'd do it? I'm more worried about the suspension than the power...

I really like the truck. Rear DVD for the kids, cooled seats (no sweaty butt), nice ride, etc...
    Hey T:
    My wife drives a Navigator (larger cousin) and we sometimes tow with that. Mind you, we only have an LSV. I think it is rated at 8800 lbs. It does tow it like it's not even there but the rear end feels a little loose at times. I attribute that to the tires (original equipment) and I will probably look for an 8 ply heavier duty tire next spring (or whenever these wear out).
    2007 LSV - All red
    Wetsounds PRO 80's WS420 Eq
    Acme 1433

Sled491 Guest

Isn't and Aviator based off of the Ford Explorer frame?

I have an Explorer V8. Tow with it all the time with no problems. Just make sure the Aviator has the class 3-4 tow package and your good to go. If your towing cross country or long distances on a regular basis you might consider something bigger.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

Yeah it's based on the explorer. Doesnt matter anyway since they sold it today. I'm actually rather surprised the dealer didnt try to get me to bid on it, but maybe the other guy just paid sticker. Oh well, nice truck. I was pleasantly surprised, and I have driven a few recent explorers and mountaineers.
    Last edited by tlatoani; 07-21-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Sled491 Guest

Don't be in a rush, that is usually when you get ripped off. Just my 2 cents

I tow my LSV with my Aviator and it does fine. As GeauxTigers pointed out, the suspension could be slightly better, but that's just nitpicking on my part.

As long as it has the tow package, you will do fine. It's a great SUV and I've really enjoyed mine for the last 3 years.

Resale will be slightly higher since they stopped making them 2 years ago. However, it's a good year for bargains, so be patient and keep your ears open.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV