Thread: help!

Default help!

I was replacing the gasket that the rubber impellar goes into. When I went to tighten the bolts back down one of the heads snapped off. If I get this screw out I can replace it with an allen wrench head type of screw? Does anyone know why they use the soft bronze screws in that application? If I can replace it with a harder screw I am going to replace all four of them. Does anyone know if this is going to cause me a problem?

chutch,
    I would replace it with bronze. The reason is people tend to over-tighten the bolts and the bronze bolt is much easier to replace than the impeller housing if you strip it with a harder screw. If you broke the head off then you were tightening it then you were using waaaaay to much torq and you would have stripped the housing with a harder bolt. Those bolts only need to be a tad more than hand tight. Remember there is less than 20 psi in that system so they don't need to be that tight.
    I know thats not what you want to hear but I don't want to see you have to spend time and money repairing the problem over and over.
    I'll bet your manual has torq specs for that application.
    GL,
    Newty
    Last edited by newty; 07-15-2008 at 04:30 PM.

I concur with Newty. Excellent advice.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yeah. After I started thinking about it I figured that is why. Does anyone know where to get these at? I have tried Lowes and a couple of other hardware stores but cant seem to find a bronze. For now I am going to replace the one that I snapped with a harder screw and not tighten it to much. I would like to get the bronze though if I can find them.

Thanks for the advice.

Sled491 Guest

Try Overtons, or a specialty hardware store. Of course there is always your dealer.

Autozone or Advance or any of them types.
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

If you can't find anything from those stories go online to one of the big industrial supply companies, like McMaster-Carr, Grainger, or MSC. I use them for work all the time and also used them for home projects as well. A credit card is all you need.
    07 Mobius LS
    Drew