Question Wakeplate install has any one done this

For the do it yourselfer's
    I have 2004 OB ,No wake plate
    I would love to have one
    But being in Vancouver there are no dealers nearby

Has anyone ever done one themselves?
    How difficult?
    Where can I purchase one?
    Any special instructions for set up and length of time for install ?
    Lead,Follow or get out of my way

I have not done this, but I was looking at an Outback without the wakeplate and asked the dealer how much installed. He said $800 (which is less than the SC option). Based on that (dealer labor plus parts), I don't think that it would be too hard. It is a Bennett's trim tab. I think the hardest part would be running the wiring for the adjuster and guage.

Not sure why you would want a wakeplate on the Outback??? This is a ski boat and as such does not create a big wake. If you want a wake you need ballast. All the other Moomba hulls create a wake and you can use the wakeplate to shape it some but with it all the way down they create the least amount of wake. We use it on our LS to get the rear end out of the water to create LESS wake so we can slalom ski!!!! Agein we get the wake when we pull the wakeplate OUT of the water!

I agree with what Z said.. I had Outback prior to LSV and questioned the wakeplate.. got same response.. because the DD Outback is more center balanced, you will get very little benefit from it when you move it up all the way as that hull does not angle up much under tow speeds.. it planes out flat real easy.. when you run the plate all the way down, it mellows the wake on my LSV...
    I think on the OB if you are looking for better wake, play with additional weight and location of weight. We put more weight up front in the LSV friday Eve and WOW, the wake was the bomb! LSV's like more up front.. Outbacks like a 60/40 balance.

BW
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I just had one installed on my LSV. The guy I had install it said it was not hard. When I got the kit there were no instructions so you may want to try to look at one installed one a boat so you can see how it all mounts up. If I get a chance I will try to post some pics of mine.

Again,
    I would only think it would be worthwhile if you already had max ballast installed and you want to shape it. Other than that it will NOT create a wake on a Outback, if anything it will pull the rear out of the water more and just cause drag. Fuel eating drag!

Actually, the wakeplate does help creat a bigger wake in the Outback. It "trims" the back of boat down into the water, creating more displacement of the water and thus a slightly larger wake for board sports. It also 'shapes' the wake, changing the ramp on the wake. For slalom ski speeds, it does nothing unless it is still trimmed for wakeboarding, then it creates quite a mess.
    If you are looking to improve your slalom wake, this will do nothing. If you want a slight bit more control on your board sports wake, then it helps. It doesn't turn the Outback into a wake machine.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Interesting debate
    Why would Moomba call it a wake plate when in actual fact its more of a trim tab?
    I can see it helping with sufficient ballast in the rear this would lift the stern up forcing the bow to plow and displace more water.
    Now shaping the wake would it get sharper edge or roll out more ?
    We run a gravity one system with four or more people the wake is sufficient for inverts and good air
    I'm still debating if there is a value to installing a wake plate
    Still need to know where to find one and the cost?
    thanks for everyones input its all valuable
    Lead,Follow or get out of my way

I would PM maxpower and ask for his phone number and call him as he has this system and would be the one to talk to. As he said combined with ballast it will allow you to shape the wake.

The wake plate is a Bennett trim tab, the warranty info provided when I purchased the boat said as such. You can contact Bennett's for info. The plate (or tab) pulls the water going under the boat around. With the tab trimmed up (or wake mode) it pulls the back of the boat into the water. When trimmed down (slalom mode) it creates a level surface for the bottom of the boat further back, which "trims" the nose down/lifting the stern.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier