Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MrsZ Guest

Question What is Your Mirror Configuration?

I would like to know how most of you have your rear view mirror set up and which mirror you have. Mine drives me crazy! I don’t like it blocking my front view and when I move it not to block, I cant see my skier very well.

I do use a couple of cushions so I can sit up high. I have become used to looking over the windshield from years of not having a very clear windshield. Maybe that is a factor. How high up does everyone here sit?

I prefer to sit down low in the drivers seat and look through the windshield. It is just more comfortable and easier to see the guages. I did move the mirror, though. I bought one of the Monster Tower morror brackets which allowed me to move the mirror up higher to get a better angle viewing the rider. I love it. Most people I know do not use the mirror and/or sit up on top of the seat. I really don't understand this at all. I cannot drive while constantly turning my head to look behind me at the rider.

MRS Z- do you have a tower on your boat?
    I have an outback w/o a tower and I mount my mirror on the top of the windshield. I put it as close as possible to the middle of the boat and have not had an issue seeing the skier unless they really get outside the boat on either side.
    The mirror has 2 places to adjust for angle and height so that hasn't been an issue either.

I have a tower but still have the old ski mirror. I sit up one cushion worth and it's OK but I want to add a tower mirror. I don't look where I'm going anyway . . .
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mrs Z - Have an '07 Outback with factory tower, bracket, and mirror. I do most of the driving. Seat is in full back position. Bolster down. Coast guard required throw cushion flat on seat. Slide my feet through the seatback opening and rest my butt on my feet. Gets my line of sight above the windshield (though to a small degree it is blocked by the mirror) and gives me a view in the mirror of whats happening behind the boat. When needed, I can lift my butt to raise my line of sight by nearly two feet. The higher my line of sight in the late day sun the better. It can be prettty hard to see anything on the water other than the blinding light of the reflected sun. I'm 6'2". My two older sons both are taller than me. One drives normal (no bolster, no throw cushion, and feet under the dash) and the other sits on the bolster. Don't know how much they use the mirror. I preach that when towing they are responsible for what's happening in front while the spotter's are responsible for what happens off the stern of the boat. When my boys drive, I want them focused. Anyway, each of us has a different style. Mrs D likes to watch the action and work the lines, but not drive. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Mrs. Z:
    I put my mirror on top of the passenger side of the windshield. I do have to crank it all the way to the right to get a straight angle at the skier, but it works! I like to drive with my seat bolster up and I sit on that. This way, I have absolutely no obstructions when looking forward. One slight turn of my head, lets me see my skier/wakeboarder/tuber/kneeboarder. LOL! yes, we do all that in one day!
    2007 LSV - All red
    Wetsounds PRO 80's WS420 Eq
    Acme 1433

I can not stand the mirror that mounts to the top of the wind shield. I have a tower mirror. It is excellent and I can see through the wind shield and above if need be. I too sit comfortably in the drivers seat. No extra padding just the seat as it was built.

We have a tower mirror but I ended up mounting it higher (almost touching the bimini). When I was sitting on the bolster it was right in the way.

-McM

I've got a '99 OB (no tower) and stay in the seat with my feet under the dash looking through the windshield. Mirror is mounted above windshield on drivers side. Not a problem seeing as long as you stay in the seat. As I'm not running ballast, I can see over the bow all the time from the seat. Even my 5'1" wife stays in the seat, though I don't believe she eevn knows the mirror is there when driving. She is totally focused on not running into the boat a mile away and killing me while I'm skiing! I have to hope my 14 year old son stays focused enough to watch me as the spotter.

I was thinking that too. I can barely sit on my a$$, much less my feet. My younger brother hates the Moomba driver seat b/c he got used to sitting on one knee with a leg forward. You got to be either young or skinny if you can kneel or sit on your feet. What I need is a bar stool at the helm so I feel at home. Put a pair of tappers where the controls are. I won't care if I go anywhere.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!