Thread: Stereo Problems

Default Stereo Problems

Last year I bought a new '07 Outback with the Kenwood CD/Radio. Nothing fancy, no amp or speakers for the tower, just the basic 6 speaker system. Worked fine all year long. This year after I pulled the boat out of storage and the dealer did the summerizing, put the boat in the water, and the stereo wouldn't turn on. The toggle switch lights up fine, but nothing turns on over on the radio. If I press the eject button, I hear it making noises, but no matter what I do, it won't turn on. I looked at all the connections and to the best of my knowledge, and didn't see anything loose or not hooked up.

I was thinking about taking the face to a Best Buy or something to see if they could plug it in somewhere to see if it's a problem with the face or not. Does anyone have any other ideas on where to look? Boat runs great, but some tunes would make it a lot better.

Thanks in advance.

Did you check the fuse in the back of the head unit? If the fuse is good, try unplugging the wire harness then plugging it back in.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I tried some of the wires, but didn't try the fuse. I'll try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLakeMoomba View Post
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I tried some of the wires, but didn't try the fuse. I'll try that next.
    Any luck?

Having trouble with ours as well.....Shorts in and out. Very frustrating.
    Fins to the left.

2002 Outback LS

I am not impressed with the Kenwood units. After 100 hours of use, mine has fried permanently in "protect" mode. Apparently, the compartment below the radio was humid enough to corrode and rust the radio. I am hoping for a warranty replacement. Perhaps you had the same problem during storage if the humidity was high enough.

Weirdo,
    Double check all of the connections in and around the battery behind the passenger seat compartment. Our radio went in and out for the longest, frustrating time, and it was as easy as tightening one of these connections.

Thanks, I haven't tried that yet. I've just tried behind the console and played with the wires there.
    Fins to the left.

2002 Outback LS

3 summers later, I figured it out. With the help of my 7 year old son I was able to pinpoint which wire was the cause of the problem. It turns out it was easier find the problem wire in the dark, when you could easily tell if the radio was getting power or not. Not so easy was getting my 6 ft 4 250 lb frame in a comfortable spot to see the panel. The wire had come loose from the mounting clip (not sure if that is what is called). Trip to an auto parts store the next day for the replacement was all it took.

Get a partner and see if you can get a good look at the panel behind the dash. Go over your connections one by one. My guess is that the problem is on that end.
    Last edited by weirdo0521; 08-07-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Fins to the left.

2002 Outback LS