Thread: Waxing the hull

Default Waxing the hull

First of all I want to thank who ever it was where I read on another thread that distiled water and vineger gets the lime water spots off the boat. That works great and it is cheap. Love it.

Next I was waxing my boat last night and was thinking the hull needs a good washing and a wax. How in the "H" does one acomplish this. I can do it on my back while it is on the trailer however where it sets on the trailer will not get a wash and wax???? Do I need to take it to the dealer?

You can clean below the water line, but not recommended waxing. I can't remember the verbage but has something to do with water sticking (or not sticking if you wax it) to the hull.
    Under turbulent flow conditions the drag coefficient is significantly reduced as compared to the drag coefficient under laminar flow conditions. Here is where waxing comes in: Turbulence at the surface/fluid interface can be induced at lower velocities by roughness of the surface. In other words, a smooth surface would facilitate a smoother flow pattern and thus higher drag than a rough surface. One of the best practical examples of this effect is golf balls. The first solid golf balls were smooth with no dimples. It did not take the pros of that day long to figure out that a ball that had been hit several time, scuffing up the surface, would fly farther than a new ball right out of the box. Pros began to use their practice rounds to hit all of the balls that they would use in the actual tournament rounds to scuff them up before the tournament began. Once the manufacturers understood what the pros were doing they began to produce balls with the pre-made "scuffs" and thus the birth of the modern dimpled golf ball.
    However, In boats that run up to 65-70 mph it makes very little difference. In boats that run 100+ waxing can cause serious problems. What happens is the heat created by the speed can cause the wax to melt and ball up and seriously upset the top speed handling of the boat. The most important thing to remember is to keep the pad of the boat clean and without nicks and chips. If you once in a while get some automotive polishing compound and buff the bottom. This is not wax but will clean impurities out of the gelcoat.
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttafewcoe View Post
    Under turbulent flow conditions the drag coefficient is significantly reduced as compared to the drag coefficient under laminar flow conditions. Here is where waxing comes in: Turbulence at the surface/fluid interface can be induced at lower velocities by roughness of the surface.

Butta - 'turbulent flow conditions" "drag coefficient" I had to read three times before I could even begin to understand it. Guess I won't be waxin' below the water line. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Talking

I is really dunt talk lik dis. I is cut an pasties dat un.
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

now i undertood that one.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!