Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

the front cleats are slightly ahead of the windsheild, they are not that far up to where the speakers are. IMO thats were they should be though.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    the front cleats are slightly ahead of the windsheild, they are not that far up to where the speakers are. IMO thats were they should be though.
    I don't have any front cleats unless they're really well hidden. I wanted to add some about where the speakers are (or maybe even slightly in front of that). I'll just take those off when I get a chance and see what I see.

SC/dealer installs them between the tower feet as you can see from the pic. IMO i wish it was further toward the bow but those spots are hard to get to as you are experiencing .

A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Yep they are MIA; I just have the rear ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like 'em better further forward too but the boat narrows a lot very quickly up there. So, if you put them too far forward you can't use them to tie off when you raft up and stuff. Keep them close to the widest part of the hull if you want to hang your hoppity hops or bumpers from them.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It depends on how fare forward you add the cleats.

The factory location on the front cleats puts them a few inches before my front tower leg. When looking into the cubby you can access them on the Port side. Starboard side its under the dash up near my ski locker ballast drain hole.

The rears are in the ballast storage lockers.

Heres the only real picture i have of the inside where the cleat comes threw. This is the divers area. The passenger area same location right in front of the brace you see in this picture.

The rear are in a flat section just drill and drop no obstacles.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Got the boat out of storage and the next main thing to work on is getting to this cleat install. I have a few questions about placement.

Many of the places I would dock the boat have slips you pull into, with lines/poles around the corners and the only dock at the bow perpendicular with the boat. I want to make sure I put the cleats in a place where docking like this is both not a pain and will of course keep things as secure as necessary. Specifically like these:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_x-_HOfpIzK0/Sq...0/IMG_1032.JPG

I understand the factory placement of the cleats with respect to dropping bumpers from them. If I don't put cleats there I can always hang a bumper around one of the tower legs if needed, so it's not a major issue for me. I worry that with the factory placement they are a little too far back for docking at slips like above.

I've tested around the bow and near the very tip where the triangle of the bow is still open there's plenty room to get under and ratchet the cleats if I put them there. Further down the gunnel is probably going to be a little tight and I would probably not want them there in case I put in a bow rail later.

So, at the tip/triangle of the bow, I could put them on the same portion of the gunnel that that that the factory cleats are on (just way more forward of course) but this section isn't exactly flat and has a bit of a curve. I wonder if it's too curved to put the cleats on or if it would be ok? The baseplate I got wobbles a bit in this position but it's a bit wider than the cleat.

If the curve is a problem there is the very flat portion at the top of the bow but I wonder if that's just an odd/odd looking position for cleats.

Any thoughts? Maybe some pictures will help I'll try to get some later. In the mean time this mspaint recreation may help. Red vs. Blue in terms of the bow position.

I took the factory installed ones. Quite frankly I hardly use them. When in the harbor I have my boat covered, and the cleats are under the cover

On my O/B, I thought they would be more useful further forward. The pic shows my 2000 OB in the foreground and Maxpower's newer (08?) OB in the background. Mine were located in a slightly curved part of the decking. No big deal. You can put a piece of inner tube or ski binding under it for a pad and cut the center out to take up the slack if you want.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    On my O/B, I thought they would be more useful further forward. The pic shows my 2000 OB in the foreground and Maxpower's newer (08?) OB in the background. Mine were located in a slightly curved part of the decking. No big deal. You can put a piece of inner tube or ski binding under it for a pad and cut the center out to take up the slack if you want.
    That is exactly where I installed mine on my '99 Outback. I don't have a tower or anything else up in there, so there was a reasonable amount of room to work.