Default Swim platform start/stop dangerous?

While learning how to wakesurf, I read numerous places that you should never start or stop on the swim platform.

For a few weeks now I've been riding up to the swim platform and stepping off, catching my board in the process. I saw a video yesterday of a guy starting from the swim platform without a rope!

Is this really dangerous, or is this just one of those boilerplate 'we told you so' kind of things?
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

I start and stop from my platform. My brother and I taught ourselves how to surf a couple of weeks ago and going from the platform felt the easiest after learning both ways. At this point I don't even need a rope, just drop back and you catch the wave. I never put much thought into the risks of this method, but does anyone know of any incidents involving this start/stop specifically? I can see stopping as a problem if the boat slowed down before you were on the platform, but I dont know how starting would be a problem. If exhaust emissions is why this could be risky, that can be solved with the FAE system. As for the prop, you would have to overcome the 800 or so pounds of force from the water pushing against you to hit it.

Why do you strongly recommend we don't start/stop this way Ed? No disrespect intended, I'm new to wakesurfing and would love to know the risks associated with my current techniques.

So far the only thing I've worried about is getting hit in the head with the board.

Starting from the platform is more work and slower.

When you fall dowm you gotta get back up out of the water and set yourself up again. Why not just stay in the water and do a quick start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBMbuulFUI
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    Starting from the platform is more work and slower.

When you fall dowm you gotta get back up out of the water and set yourself up again. Why not just stay in the water and do a quick start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBMbuulFUI
    How else could you, fresh off the job, roll up your suit pants and start/stop dry?

My board has a fin on the front. I would imagine my board would scratch the swim platform.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

I don't have a front fin, so no risks there.