Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I didn't consider the possibility that the pin sheared rather than just falling out. If that is the case, that is much worse of design/material probem.

supra/moomba are the only ones that I know of using the pin design the do. it's a nice thought, but poor design. they do shear off in rough water, I believe due to the play in the platform. we switched out to the ones listed in the first post and not an issue yet.

however....
    noticed yesterday morning that due to the play in the brackets, the bottom of one of the brackets has broke off, so the platform can bounce up. pin doesn't hold it in place anymore. used some plumbers strapping to hold it on for our trip yesterday, but am going to have to buy a new bracket for the platform... am convinced all these issues are due to the play.
    sucks.....

thinking about going to the next size up and drilling the holes just a tad bigger to hold it. would fix the loose platform issue, but not sure yet.

Sandm, if you can find a welder, have them weld in the broken spot and then drill it through again. It will no doubt be cheaper than getting a new one and it holds up fine. Although your average garage mechanic may not be able to weld aluminum really well.

The locking pins I got from McMaster-Carr are working great.

To answer the other post, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but one side of the platform definitely came loose - either the pin sheared or it fell out. I would guess the pin sheared off, since the previous owner of my boat had bent over the flat flanges that are supposed to keep the pins from sliding out unless you want them to. After one side was loose and rode up higher, the weight of someone just climbing into the boat cause the other side to tear loose from the second bracket. So one bracket was left on the boat and the other came off still attached to the swim platform.

They do float quite well, so hopefully no one hit the one that came off at the dock.

Chris_B hairline cracks in gel coat is very common, especially near where things mount. I have one near one of my tower mounts and another near the windshield. Cheaper boats will have more of these. Take a look at a 5+ year old Bayscraper, I mean Bayliner and you will see tons of them. They are usually superficial and don't bother anyone except the owner.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

Tyger,

What style of stainless locking pin did you by from Mcmaster Carr? (I'm guessing the one with the lanyard?) Also, what length of pin did you get?

The lake patrol found my swim platform floating around the lake undamaged, so now I just need to find a more reliable pin to hold it in place. Your idea of welding and redrilling the pin holes makes sense to take the play out.

thx.

home depot sells them in the nuts/bolts aisle. they are located in one of the pull out drawers and look exactly like the pic in the first post of this thread. cost is right around $2, and no waiting for shipping...

Lightbulb 2 Part, 2 Ton Clear Epoxy

Hello,

I've had the same problem with my swim step ('07 Mobius XLV). Tightening/replacing the screws became a regular maintenance item. Finally, I came up with the bright idea of mounting the brackets to the swim step with 2 part, 2 ton clear epoxy (Home Depot stocks it) and my troubles are over.

Steps to success:
    1. Remove the screws and brackets
    2. Clean the mounting surfaces of the swim step and brackets
    3. Apply the epoxy to the entire mounting surface of the brackets
    4. Apply a small amount of epoxy to each screw hole on the swim step
    5. Line up screw holes and screw the screws (sounds funny, huh)
    6. Done!!! (Let it dry for a few hours, of course)

NOTE: You will still have the play issue due to the poor mounting pin design. However, this thread also has brilliant ideas to reduce/remove the play.

bhaastyle

The first time I read this thread, I kinda laughed to myself. Until this past weekend when mine came off and stripped the screws out of the bottom of the platform on one side. Call it karma or bad luck either way... But fixed it and used some 1/4" clevis pins that will hold up alot better than the factory pins. So hopefully won't have this issue again.

Good info in this thread though, thanks for all the help.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

interestingly enough, my dealer was out of the exact factory replacement bracket, so they sold me a different set that have a little more angle to them. swim deck does not sit level when the boat is out of the water. I thought that it would be an issue, but swim deck is actually a little more out of the water when the boat is sitting level, and I got an extra foot on our surf wake. was up above the waist when at the bottom of the wake. I'll snap pics. was going to have the dealer order the correct ones, but after seeing the wake, I'm sticking with the ones they sold me