Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat attitude

Default Boat attitude

No, I'm not talking about the attitude of boaters/surfers, I'm talking about where the boat is pointed.

We are still having a blast surfing and getting better. Most of us can now freeride for at least 15 minutes, with my buddy freeriding for over 30 minutes one time until he got tired.

Here's my default setup:
    2005 Mobius LSV Gravity I
    Center #400 full
    Fly High #750 in port locker
    Wake plate anywhere between 50-100 depending on conditions
    Driver, passenger on the transom if 5-0 isn't around

We sometimes have more people which we position on transom and port seats as possible

We are getting a very good wake. If the water is calm, I jack back to 50% wake plate and the edge of the wake is much cleaner. However, the wake tends to collapse easily at 50% if there's chop or wake from other boats, so it's usually about 75% or so.

However, at all times the boat is pointed up at a pretty good angle (attitude is about 35 degrees from horizon). This is a normally bad speed for porpoising, but at slow speeds and using the PP it works. However, a) I have to sit on the back of the chair or stand to see over the bow and b) I think it's using a lot more gas since we are lugging so bad and not getting on plane.

I've tried putting 1 and even 2 #400s in the bow and/or having people sit up there; however, it really didn't allow a good wake without getting the attitude up. I've also tried not using the center ballast, but that didn't do any good.

With other people's set ups, is it possible to get a good wake with the boat in a normal/planing attitude? If so, what should I change about my setup? I've got 2 #750 and 2 #400 bags, plus the center ballast.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

*bump*

Any input on getting a good wake with a mostly level boat?
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

well, I have an o4 lsv and despite everything I have tried, I cannot get a decent wave on the port side, so I exlusively surf switch on the starboard (you can get a HUGE wave on that side). You could always try surfing it backside, can be fun.

I put 600 in bow, 250 rear sac full, plus another 500 behind the driver....and yes, it is very difficult to see over the nose if done properly......if the boat is more level, the wave disappears.

I can't speak from experience, since I can't really remember pulling a surfer...but my normal driver doesn't seem to have much trouble seeing. Then again, the XLV may be different.

I have a 05 Lsv, have played around with the wake alot this year. I am running 450lb ski locker, 750lb rear compartment, and 450 lb sand bags in in the bow. I have had up to 6 people on the boat with this set-up and have came to a conclusion that there is only so much this boat will do. The Lsv's hull is not the deepest hull, with all the weight and just three people in the boat, the rub rail is near under water while surfing. The wave is does put out is very large, i can ride about 5-6 ft behind the swim platform. I just wish the wave was bigger futher away from the boat.

This is the only video/picture i have, setup was same as above just without sandbags. I think it looks small in the video.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=36058062

We went to a different lake yesterday with a different group of people (my dad, friend's two younger boys and my wife) and had a really hard time getting the wake dialed in.

Seth, your wake actually looks pretty good, but is a little short compared to what we have with a really good setup. I would try flattening the wake plate to %75 or less (with %0 being all the way right, plate up) and increasing the speed a bit. Normally we run about 9.3, but we were running about 10 yesterday to get a longer wake that you can play with.

I'm still trying to get video of me surfing and our wake, but my darling wife keeps forgetting the camera.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    We went to a different lake yesterday with a different group of people (my dad, friend's two younger boys and my wife) and had a really hard time getting the wake dialed in.

Seth, your wake actually looks pretty good, but is a little short compared to what we have with a really good setup. I would try flattening the wake plate to %75 or less (with %0 being all the way right, plate up) and increasing the speed a bit. Normally we run about 9.3, but we were running about 10 yesterday to get a longer wake that you can play with.

I'm still trying to get video of me surfing and our wake, but my darling wife keeps forgetting the camera.
    I agree with this SethScott.....

When I have a ton of weight in the boat and the wave gets bigger, I just speed up a bit and the pocket lengthens. Your wave is plenty huge, by the way, I wouldn't be upset about that!

I have found the wave on the port side isn't good also. I have a 750 full and the front 400lb full. I had a wave about like Seth's it is way high but I can't get it to lengthen out. If I got to the other side I get a wake that goes about 15' back and looks perfect. Also, I was told to always turn towards the surf side to get a bigger wake but that destroys the wake. I have to go away then it cleans it up a lot. So was I told wrong or do I need to add more weight?

I had the driver play around with the wakeplate this weekend. I now like the wakeplate 0-40% it lengthed the wake alot. Before the wake was just way to high, i am having a hard time trying to get the board out of the water to do any kind of tricks. I also played around with weighing the boat some. My favorite setup so far has been 750lbs in left rear compartment, 750lbs on the left side of floor, i took the bag out of the right compartment and used it here,400lbs in the ski locker, and 420lbs of sandbags in the bow all moved to the left side. The driver really has to pay attention to rollers for other boats.

For the time being when i do use the bag from the right compartment and use it on the floor, I dont have any way to drain it, since i dont have the pump the hooks to a 12v outlet. The cheap way to do it is. Find out what valve on your ballast setup your not using, for me it is the right side. So i Unhook the hose, and hook up another hose that will now fill the bag on the floor. I drian it by kinking the line in 2 different places and put it in the bilge area. When i am done surfing unkink the line and let the bag drain to the bilge area, and then let the bilge, pump the water out. Works for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pic of boat weighed down with 0 people in boat
    Attached Images Attached Images