Default Oil change with boat in the water?

As I have just completed the 10 hour break-in period, I am now trying to figure out what to do about an oil change. I do not have a tow vehicle, so getting the boat out of the lake onto a trailer for the oil change will be a PITA. The dealer is a good 2 1/2 hours away, and I would still need to beg,borrow, or steal a tow vehicle.

After reading all the recent posts about using the oil drain hose and drill pumps I got to thinking that maybe I could do this with the boat still in the water. Hook the drill pump to the drain line, get a big container to hold the old oil, and go at it.....

Has anyone ever attempted this? Or is this a completely moronic idea?!?

Any thoughts?

I would think that with a pump you could do it. If you're worried about a mess put some plastic down-- maybe even line the bilge. Just take your time. Also, there's a great post on here somewhere about putting a ziplock bag around the oil filter when you remove it -- if it comes off.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    if it comes off.
    that one was brutal. a while ago i was going to complain about the dealer getting oil in the bilge& front ballast, ruining the pad under the sack, but i quickly saw that was trivial. they did say they replaced the oil sending unit that was leaking, so that was good.

I just bought a topside oil changer($54.99 Overtons) I havent used it yet But I think it is going to work well... The unit seems simple and fairly well built. I have the drill pump Not very user friendly, and pretty slow. I am thinking you can build the vacume and drain while doing other maitance on the boat. I will find out in about 8 more hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    As I have just completed the 10 hour break-in period, I am now trying to figure out what to do about an oil change. I do not have a tow vehicle, so getting the boat out of the lake onto a trailer for the oil change will be a PITA. The dealer is a good 2 1/2 hours away, and I would still need to beg,borrow, or steal a tow vehicle.

After reading all the recent posts about using the oil drain hose and drill pumps I got to thinking that maybe I could do this with the boat still in the water. Hook the drill pump to the drain line, get a big container to hold the old oil, and go at it.....

Has anyone ever attempted this? Or is this a completely moronic idea?!?

Any thoughts?
    If you are going to suck it out of the dipstick hole, it doesn't matter if you do it on land or on the water. You should be fine. Just do it on a calm day.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I had a certified Indmar tech do it at a different marina on the water. 15 minutes and 65 bucks later I was good to go. The next oil changes will happened every year with winterization(summerization)

I watched and it looked easy.

Good luck
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Did the tech pump the oil from the dipstick tube, or thru the oil pan drain tube?

I would expect connecting a pump to the drain hose to work well as long as your connection is tight and you wouldn't have to take it off the mounting. I would recommend a good pump and I've heard good stuff on the Topside Oil Changer. I can imagine the mess that could be made if the connection isn't tight to begin with. The benefit of using the drain hose is that is the normal location of the drain plug so barring any lack of suction you should be able to remove all of the oil.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Did the tech pump the oil from the dipstick tube, or thru the oil pan drain tube?
    I believe it was the pan drain tube, he had a home made quick connect fitting for this that made it simple(look like a lowes or home depot run). He had a small 2 gallon pump container that he powered with a portable 12v pack litterally took 30 seconds to drain.

longest wait time was waiting for oil temp to cool. i had to run about 12 miles to get there and oil got up to the engine temp.

Oil filter on the v drive is easily acessible and came off with the normal filter wrench( metal band).

hit the water within 15 to 30 minutes, good to go.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold