Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default All these Moomba problems...

I just bought an '04 Mobius LSV. Then I started surfing this forum and saw all of the problems that are occuring. Is this normal? Is everyone having problems? Are Moombas reliable or sorta reliable or what.

I'm getting a little nervous here...should I be?

Thanx in advance.

Moomba Dad

I have the same boat as you and bough new in 04.No problems with her at all.Keep up on the preventative stuff and you will be fine.Think about it.It is a Chevy 350 powerplant.Thing has been around for ever.I think most of the stuff you read about is minor stuff.Go visit some of the high dollar comp boat websites and read some of the horror stories.Now think they are paying double.Have fun.
    John

I have a '99 Outback with over 600 hours. Maintained regularly twice a year. I have done one fuel pump, 2 impellers, one transmission seal kit, one transmission return hose, one belt and one water pump. Not bad for almost 9 years of skiing.

I ski a lot. Last year I recorded 349 runs from Late may to early October. (I kept track for fun) I am pleased with the performance and reliability and would buy another Outback. (I may next year or in '10) I love the way it looks and handles.

I would not be worried. Boats have problems just like anything mechanical. A lot has to do with the owner. Sometimes things break, sometimes it's just bad luck, sometimes things wear out. You never know.

Good luck and have fun!

I wouldn't worry. Moomba is a geat boat. Mine is an 07' and love it. I have had a few problems but nothing too big. Burnt out bulb, Not understanding the new boat and all its components, etc. Take time to know your boat. I am. I learn something new about it everytime I either go on this chat room or when I start the engine. I will give you a great example. This past weekend my family and I went out to the Lake. My tower lights went out. Blown fuse. My mistake. The fuse was way too small. The people we met up with, also had problems. One boat was a Malibu and the other was a Ski Centurion. Ski Centurion had engine problems and major radio problems. The installer really JERRY RIGED the system. I will be helping him with the new setup thanks to all the information that I got from everybody here on the site. The Malibu had ballast problems. His pump were not working properely. So you see everyone has some type of problems. It does not matter if you have a $95,000 Malibu or a $40,000 Moomba. Enjoy your boat with your family and do not let the small thing get in the way.
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

I have an 05 LSV, check the cushion screws, if they are too long replace or grind them off. That problem is old tape not seen for several years. I was never sure if mine were too long or not so I just ground them off anyway.
    Stuff breaks - get perfect pass and heaters and stop worrying. CWB Hinge bindings too.
    Boarding is way safer than quads, not even close to hunting though.
    The number one sport for youth fatalities - baseball. Head and chest hits from the ball. Fortunately, your kids cannot board regularly and play baseball. Money well spent.

I am leaning more and more toward helmets on boards. Try one out, I like protec but that is all I have.

I have owned 2 different types of boats for years. An inboard ski boat and an offshore fishing boat. You cannot even compare the 2, sure you have some problems with the ski boats but once you learn the boat you can easily fix the problems. Now take a boat that is exposed to salt water and see what this toxic mix can do to a boat. I can only dream that my salt water boat would have the problems that the inboard does!!!! And really compared to a modern car this are still simple machines with usually simple fixes.

Boats need TLC.
    This is the time of year when problems rear their ugly heads... first trips of the year..
    Some issues come from fact that boats sit idle for long periods.. we use our car/truck every day all year long... keeps everything moving...

Take time to get to know the boat. You'll find most of the issues that have shown up are minor and most can be fixed at home. There are some very helpful folks in here who can guide you through.

Enjoy the boat.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by smokedog2 View Post
    I have an 05 LSV, check the cushion screws, if they are too long replace or grind them off. That problem is old tape not seen for several years. I was never sure if mine were too long or not so I just ground them off anyway.
    Stuff breaks - get perfect pass and heaters and stop worrying. CWB Hinge bindings too.
    Boarding is way safer than quads, not even close to hunting though.
    The number one sport for youth fatalities - baseball. Head and chest hits from the ball. Fortunately, your kids cannot board regularly and play baseball. Money well spent.

I am leaning more and more toward helmets on boards. Try one out, I like protec but that is all I have.
    Could you please give me a little more info on the cushion screws...what screws are you talking about? Also, what are CWB hinge bindings.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I really geeked about getting on the water for the first time this coming weekend.

Moomba Dad

CWB is a manufacture for wakeboards. They offer Hindged bindings for the board.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

2004 Outback LSV bought in April
    Things I've had to do so far:
    install gas
    check oil, transmission fluid, v-drive oil
    install second amp
    install 12" sub
    add surfboard rack
    add tower mirror mount
    install tower mounted bimini
    replace plastic cup holders with stainless steel
    install integrated ballast system
    built some cup holders that snap onto grab handle at rear of boat
    replaced battery, original 2004 battery went out this year, excellent for a boat battery

oh yeah, steering was a little stiff so I went ahead and changed steering cable

Remember B.O.A.T. is an acronym for bust out another thousand.

I have some friends that have a 'bu. It has been in the shop nearly once a month during wakeboard season since they have owned it. Not knocking 'bu's, I think their's is just a lemon, but I prefer my well-used Moomba over their boat any day. BTW, that 'bu has been in the shop at least 2 or 3 times this summer. It's an '06 or '07.
    The reason you see so many problems posted is because this is a great place to get answers for those problems. Few people (buttafuco being an exception) will post that all's going great with their boat, and then ask people what to work on. I think that was Butta's post anyway, sorry if I'm wrong.