Default Oil change question

I ended up only getting about 4 quarts in all out of the boat (filter included). Prior to changing oil, I ran the boat for about 10 minutes. I suspect this was not enough. Used the drain line on the bottom of the pan; let it drain about 7 hours or so. It's an 07 Outback. Changed out the filter and filled back up using Rotella. I'm ok until the next oil change, right? This was the second oil change; dealer did the 20 hour and now the boat has 85 hours on it (went over a bit...I know). Is this fairly normal using the drain line? Would I have gotten more out if I let it run longer and drain longer? Is it better to get a pump? I know I will need one anyway for the transmission.

Lastly, due to the horror story on the other thread I am paranoid about over-tightening. I know it says hand tight then 1/4 turn with filter wrench, but I've always changed the oil in all my vehicles and we always just hand tightened the filters. Never had any problems. Is this ok or should I go ahead and give it a little with the wrench?

Thanks for any comments or reassurances!

Quote Originally Posted by TL7 View Post
    I ended up only getting about 4 quarts in all out of the boat (filter included). Prior to changing oil, I ran the boat for about 10 minutes. I suspect this was not enough. Used the drain line on the bottom of the pan; let it drain about 7 hours or so. It's an 07 Outback. Changed out the filter and filled back up using Rotella. I'm ok until the next oil change, right? This was the second oil change; dealer did the 20 hour and now the boat has 85 hours on it (went over a bit...I know). Is this fairly normal using the drain line? Would I have gotten more out if I let it run longer and drain longer? Is it better to get a pump? I know I will need one anyway for the transmission.

Lastly, due to the horror story on the other thread I am paranoid about over-tightening. I know it says hand tight then 1/4 turn with filter wrench, but I've always changed the oil in all my vehicles and we always just hand tightened the filters. Never had any problems. Is this ok or should I go ahead and give it a little with the wrench?

Thanks for any comments or reassurances!
    TL7,

Running your engine at idle and no load for 10 minutes does not get the oil very hot as you found out. I did my first oil change exactly like you did and got similar results. Next time, I think I will do it at the boat ramp parking lot immediately after pulling it out of the water when the oil is still hot. I'm not a fan of the pump method.

Ive always done all my own oil changes and always just tighten the filter by hand as tight as I can and call it good and have never had any problems either.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks, that's what I figured about hand tightening. Good idea about doing it at the boat ramp. I appreciate the response. Even if I didn't get all the oil out, I did save $210 which is what my dealer charges. I'm ok with that!

Hey you talking about our Horror Story!!!! Ok about the filter you should be fine doing it hand tight. And you can always check it, tighten it, run it and inspect it and tighten again if needed. If it is dry and not leaking you are good!
    Hopefully we will have our boat back this week!!!! Now I have to break in a new engine! AGAIN!