Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel whistle

Default Fuel whistle

Has anyone installed one of these? It seems like everytime I fuel up I get an inadvertent bath. I've tried listening to see if I can tell when it's getting close, and it works about 1 out of every 5 times. Just curious what you guys do.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

I listen for the gurgle gurgle. The whistle works while air is displaced in the tank through the vent tube so a fair amount of air has to be expelled to be effective. Slow pumping or air escaping around the nozzle would make this device less effective.

What year are your boats? On my '07 i just stick it and and it shuts off automatically everytime without spilling a drop.
    2007 Mobius LSV

My LSV shuts it of without spilling, unless I contiune to top off. My Outback would spray gas everywhere, I hated that. I would just step away from the boat and let it spray.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
    My LSV shuts it of without spilling, unless I contiune to top off. My Outback would spray gas everywhere, I hated that. I would just step away from the boat and let it spray.
    That's what mine does. 2007 Outback. Very annoying.

Mine did the same thing. One day when I was filling up, there was another boater next to me. He also had a wakeboard boat. I had noticed that the fill handle was upside down. I had asked him why he fills it up that way. He told me that he got tired of the gas spilling all over the place. He said that filling it up this way stops it frill spilling out. So I tried it. Believe it or not, it really works. I thought it was silly to inseart the handle upside down. But seeing is believing.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Cool I'll give it a shot. I don't understand the physics behind it though, but if it works that's good enough for me!

Interesting. Could it be because of the way the hose is curved between the cap and the tank?
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Remember with these devices you add a level of complexity to the venting system that wasn't there before (hint: failure point). I would expect two one way check valves, one being the whistle that closes the opening to the size of two non-sparking reeds (hopefully not metal as risk of a spark) the other valve allows air into the tank during normal operation and shuts closed when air is exiting through the whistle.

I've gotten splashed a couple of times with the OB. I have taken to varying the speed of the flow to let the venting catch up. As it gets close to full I slow way down. When it clicks off I quit then. I haven't been splashed in a while. I think I've noticed that when I'm forced to pull in on the wrong side when the station is busy and stretch the hose all the way across and put the nozzle in upside down I don't get splashed.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!