Default Newbie Needs Help!

Yo!

I'm heading out for the first this weekend, and I need all the advice I can get.

I have an Outback 2007. It's a direct drive, so I know I need to add plenty of ballast. Any tips for weighting a direct drive? I think I understand the basics; weight the front for longer wakes, and weight the back to increase the height on the wake. I wakeboard and snowboard regular footed, so I know I need to get the boat tipping to the left.

I purchased a longer, surf style board, the new Venture 5'6" from Liquid Force. My understanding is that this stick is good for beginners and smaller waves. I'm not a big guy, but I'm not small either, 6 foot 185 lbs.

Any tips for driving, getting up, dropping the rope, and safety would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to swamp my pretty boat, but also I want be sure I have at least some success.

I've always dreamed of surfing, but I've been landlocked in Minnesota for my whole life. I've been in love with the sport and culture for years! I foot and board in NW Wisconsin, Grindstone Lake in Hayward.

Thanks for your help, dudes! I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes, and hopefully I can post some pictures of me free surfing next week.

Surfs Up!

Hey Bomber! Welcome

I have a Mobius LS (Direct Drive) and am about the same size 6'2" & 200 lbs. I think our hulls are similar if not the same one. For us we fill all factory ballast and add between 250 - 1000 lbs of additional ballast (people or fat sacs) majority of which needs to be placed near the back and on the surf side (should be left side for you). If you have a wake plate, put it all the way up. Speeds should be around 10 - 11.5 MPH. You will have to play with the speed but you will know when it is right. The curl gets crisp and hard (not foamy). Just remember to shift your weight forward to move forward and backwards to slow down. SMALL adjusments work best. Keep low on the board (knees bent). Don't be in too big of rush to drop the rope but at the same time try not to depend on it when you start slowing down.

When a rider falls. DON'T turn around right away. Just coast in neutral or into reverse for a second to wait unit the wave passes. Then turn around and pick up the rider. This will keep your bow much dryer.

Good luck, keep us updated. You will be adicited!! I am sure some others on this board have some great tips.

I'm an absolute newbie with surfing and Ed G showed me how to get up-- please don't be insulted if you already know this- I didn't. Lay back in the water with your heels on the board at shoulder width or so and the rope over the top of it. When the boat starts to move push down with your heels and the board flips up. Then the driver accelerates and you're up. Easy as can be.

Ed- we didn't get a chance to try again yesterday as I had cousins trying to learn to wakeboard and one learning to ski. I'll have to get my surfer brother out there this w/e to give it a go. Thanks again!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks Everybody!

I live in St Paul MN, but I do my barefooting, wakeboarding, and soon surfing in Hayward WI.

I'm getting really excited to try this, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Wish Me Luck!

bomber we play with the wake plate till the wake looks glassy. With less people in the boat I had it about 3/4 up and it worked great. and good luck

Guys - I'm curious how you handle all that ballast weight in a DD boat. I've got a '99 Outback and my 14 year old son has expressed an interest in wakesurfing. The weight limit for people, gear and ballast is posted as 1,100 lbs. While I've had more than that in there, I'm worried about having that much extra weight in the boat to pull the curl. Are my worries misplaced?

we just weight it up as much as possible I was running ~2000lbs and wasn't worried the least

Also I heard that the weight recommendation is based off the fact once swamped the boat will hold 1450 or what the weight tag says. Being that you fill it with water and are swamped the bags are water filled and you wont have to worry about the boat sinking as long as you dont have 1450 worth of lead in the boat I just heard that but im sure the law has other things to say about it

You have more than enough power also
    Last edited by c.rix; 06-19-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added more
    2007 Outback V

Default wheres your lake??

Hey you live in St Paul?? We live in Highland Park, and have a Cabin North of Siren, South of hayward on North Sand Lake...